/dist/images/branding/favicon

RedRock SLS Motor Won't Calibrate

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by O'Connor Hartnett, Jun 29, 2019.

1. O'Connor Hartnett

O'Connor Hartnett New Member

I rented the Navigator and SLS motor from RedRock directly.

I cannot get the motor to calibrate - at all. The motor is illuminated once its plugged into F, I, or Z, but whenever I try to calibrate - absolutely nothing happens. However, the Navigator will control the Pan, Tilt, and Roll of the Movi.

I've made sure:

- that i'm using the latest firmware 2.0.10 (GCU) 2.0.1 (TSU)
    - mimic is connected for calibration purposes
    - motor profile is set to "hocus reflex" (and i've tried just about every other profile too just for shits)
    - the motor isn't sandwiched into lens gear (i've been keeping it free just so I could see any sign of life)
    - I also tried removing any accessory power on the TSU to make sure it wasn't some voltage issue

Could the TSU be having an issue? The TSU is supplying power just fine, but it just seems like signal is not working. Any way that I can check if the TSU is sending signal? Any method through the terminal window or such?

I also tried "load default" for the mimic and movi just to make sure there wasn't any weird setting (since movi was from a rental house) Any feedback or ideas on the cause of this issue would be appreciated.

My contact at Redrock has been great, super helpful and made themselves available on the weekend, but we haven't been able to troubleshoot the issue - shy of sending it back. Was hoping to get a whack at testing it on a personal project this weekend, but looks like no such luck.

Thanks
    O'C

Alejandro Selman likes this.
  2. Blake Scott

Blake Scott New Member

There is a massive disconnect between the functionality expected between freefly movi and redrock sls that they have not addressed with new firmware. . I have the same setup and never had reliable calibrations nor do the motors respond when I change speed or torque settings. They turn on and function initially but stop working after a few minutes of use until a reset. This is a known issue by freefly I know this because I specifically stopped by their HQ this month and did a demo in front of Chris Harrison their senior tech support guy and he saw the issues with sls incompatibility. Unfortunately though he told me it’s not a priority to have engineers look into it and that that I should have bought a better fix motor like heden. I argued that it was marketed as fully integrated with Movi and it’s clearly not working at all (as evidenced by several users in the freefly forums). Furthermore I messaged Tabb directly and he acknowledged the issues the sls motors have caused and that it’s been a pain for them to diagnose. All this to say I am battling this right now and need as many sls Movi users to send in time sensitive support tickets relating to sls incompatibility or else freefly has ZERO INTENTIONS of helping resolve these issues whatsoever. I’ll be following up with them at their open house next month but need y’all to help provide your insight on sls movi use. If enough people complain formally through their support emails (as they told me they don’t formally respond to anything on forums) they will take action. Would you feel comfortable taking the time to send in an urgent support ticket in their system to try to get some attention on this for the rest of us who still have issues? Thanks so much!