/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED Komodo

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Adam Howard-Dobson, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Adam Howard-Dobson

Adam Howard-Dobson New Member

Just wanted to start a thread on the RED Komodo. We have our camera shipping in the next week or so. Unfortunately the Komodo doesn't have the same CTRL prot that other REDs have so the existing Freefly RED RCP cable will be no good. It has an EXT port with the same pins available (RS232 RX, RS232 TX, GPO, GRND) but unfortunately RED have confirmed that it uses a different protocol to previous RED cameras as well which is frustrating. Give its size and weight this makes for a perfect gimbal/aerial camera and I really hope that it'll be fully compatible with Movi Pro later down the line.
    1581822949.png Komodo001.jpeg

Roland Fleming likes this.
  2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Looks a nice camera and decent price and weight.

3. Robin Walberg

Robin Walberg New Member

I've preordered a Storm Trooper, expecting to take it to the skies on my Alta 6 week 1. To begin with, eyeballing exposure and modifying a start/stop recording trigger over Futaba will probably be the way to go. I'm hoping that Freefly will get RED control available asap, but considering even the SmallHD monitors specifically made for controlling the Komodo will be able to do so in September, we'll probably have to wait a couple of months.

4. Roland Fleming

Roland Fleming New Member

Now that Komodo is officially released, is there any update on this? I think it would be a massive lost opportunity if the same degree of integration that's possible with the larger—but for many people less accessible—RED cameras was not also possible with the Komodo.

5. Adam Howard-Dobson

We have been flying the Komodo for a few months now. Ignite Digi have made nice right-angle start/stop and ptap cables and with FIZ we are pretty well sorted. Would be nice to have full camera control like DSMC2 but having now seen how different RCP2 is to RCP I’m not going to hold my breath. The Komodo is an excellent little camera!
    594341C6-2522-4B7F-8010-0021EC4F37E6.jpeg B06C4563-54C2-4ED6-8106-9AA3950445A8.jpeg

#5 Adam Howard-Dobson, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Roland Fleming likes this.
  6. Roland Fleming

Excellent, thanks a lot for the reply. OK, shame out the lack of compatibility ... just when you think things are getting more convenient and cross-compatible, things seem to take a step backwards. I wonder what the rationale for RCP2 is ... I guess there must be some advantages.

7. Adam Howard-Dobson

I've chatted to the RED development team and they did say there was a chance that they could include legacy RCP in a future Komodo firmware but only if there was sufficient demand. At the time they had much more pressing things on their plate! We also did some work with a company called Air Pixel to make their Air Commander Entire work with Komodo. They did an awesome job and got it working in about a week giving Shutter, Aperture, ISO and Trigger.

8. Roland Fleming

Interesting. Guess those of us who want it had better start demanding :) In the meantime we'll all find workarounds and then demand will go down I suppose.

Do you know of any other companies that make products compatible with RCP2? I'm wondering about Teradek RT for example.

9. Adam Howard-Dobson

None that I know of just yet, just too new I guess. I'm hoping that with the release of Wave Blackjack might get an update soon and actually come out of beta but who knows.

10. Roland Fleming

Fair enough, just being impatient. In fact it's quite amazing there are so many third party products for the Komodo already. I guess I'll need patience just waiting to get hands on a Komodo anyway ... But I would strongly urge Freefly to consider adding support for Komodo as I think there are going to be a lot of people looking for gimbals that play well with it.

11. Jannick Saunus

Jannick Saunus New Member

Hi Adam, I just came across your comment from last year. Could you share how the setup with the AIR Commander Entire r3 works in detail? I´m planning to use a ALTA X + MoVI Pro + Komodo or C70 Setup for live production. Do you connect the AIR Commander with ALTA or MoVI and then use your existing remote? Thanks