/dist/images/branding/favicon

Red Epic+Preston power ?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Matt Mouraud, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good way to mount a Preston receiver on an M15, with a RED Dragon... The whole thing going on a Tero. Any idea welcome.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, would Bongo ties work? Or Scotch Dual Lock? Preston MDR receiver is a lot bigger than my Bartech fStop , but I mount it on top of the M15 cage. Of course, I'd love to see how other people mount their receivers. Here's a photo.

Attached Files:

3. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Hi Graham, yes it would, it's a tetris game ! Would you mind posting more pics of your setup ? Thanks !

4. Graham Futerfas

Here's a wider shot. I'm a Movi newbie, so I'm still learning how to best configure things. The cables are a bit messy in this shot, too.

IMG_0320.jpg

A friend of mine showed me the Bongo tie trick, and I also use those ties to tuck the cables in. I actually have a bunch of them for routing cables and adding pressure to the lens motor.

For the Epic, I have a hyper thin LCD\EVF cable that goes from the camera to the RED LCD monitor that mounts on the Movi ring (or handles). All the other cables and battery power are contained on the camera body itself, so there's no other cables to pull on or affect the motors. I also have some hyper-thin BNC cables that could be used for monitoring, but it's convenient to have the LCD attached so you can make menu and settings adjustments on the fly.

I have a Teradek Bolt that also fits on top. The downside to these being on top is having room to balance the Roll axis (left-right) of the camera, but with an Epic and side mounted battery, there's not much clearance left anyway, so you have to be pretty close with the Roll beam axis balance that's adjusted by the Hex bolts behind the camera near the Movi brains.

On my rig, I have a Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom matte box\filter holder, and it's super-light. I use the Red Epic Carbon V-Lock battery plate on the camera-right side for powering camera, Focus receiver, and Teradek. There's also a P-Tap 4-way splitter in there. Eventually I'd like to get a Paralynx Tomahawk transmitter\receiver.

On the back of the Movi, I have both the Mimic receiver and the Spektrum receiver plugged in and velcro-ed to the brains. I found I could have a 5-pin and a 3-pin electronics cable plugged in at the same time, so I just keep them both back there and can switch between them in the App.

With the carbon fiber iris rods, I'm having issues with my Heden motor slipping gears on the lens when it auto-calibrates, so I have to bongo-tie it back to the cage to keep it from jumping off the lens and turning. It's annoying, and I'm looking for a solution. Maybe switching to a 4" stainless steel rod instead of carbon fiber would help, since we were seeing some flex in the rod. I also found I needed to turn the torque up to Medium on my motor receiver.

It's an evolving setup. I'm probably going to buy a Ready Rig support vest pretty soon. Best,
    -Graham

5. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Hey Graham, thanks for the pics. I was thinking of putting some stuff on the upper spars, but wasn't sure about the effect, seems perfect, thanks so much. Mine is going on the Tero so I don't have monitor attached, just the Terradek. I'll report back after the shoot and post some pics. The initial request from the DP was to use Master Primes but we couldn't get it to balance properly, so we switched to Ultra Prime (after much, much drama). I use an aluminium tube for focus and iris motors, grip is perfect, and I don't use the Movi handheld, only on the Tero.

6. Graham Futerfas

7. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Hey Graham ! I don't own camera gear, only Tero and Movi, and with this setup we were clearly over the max weight for the Movi. It worked for we were on a golf green, but the client was waiting for his Alexa Mini to get in, which it did the next day !