/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED Epic battery plate

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Arthur Woo, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Arthur Woo

Arthur Woo New Member

Hi everyone!

Outfitting my new M15 with a Red Epic. I have one question I hope you guys can help me with. My current Epic setup has Anton Bauer bricks on the back of the camera. This extends the length of the body. Still fits, seems to balance great. However, I've seen many people use the 'side battery plate' where the battery is moved to the side of the camera.

Is there an advantage of doing this vs leaving my battery on the back of the camera? Does having everything closer to the center of the camera make it perform better? Trying to figure out if it's worth an extra $85 for a metal plate to move the battery from the back to the side. Thanks!!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Arthur, I'd be interested to hear an answer about the physics of this.

What lenses do you typically use with your setup? I have a Freefly side plate, which I find oddly designed because I can never seem to get more than two bolts to line up on it, with all the holes they offer. I like the battery to seat horizontal and not vertical, though. Still, you'd think four holes would line up with the battery plate and the carbon fiber mounting bracket.

We could compare Auto-tune stiffness settings if we could try matching lenses\setups. I forget what I typically get with a RED Epic and a Sumicron lens, but I think it's around Pan 150, Tilt 100, Roll 100. I have a shoot next week where I might be able to check -- those values may be a bit higher, like 120 instead of 100. This is running Akira firmware.

Of course, we'd have to talk about other accessories on the gimbal, too, like my Bartech FStop receiver, Tomahawk, Misfit Matte Box, etc.

Are you having any performance issues with your setup? Ironically, I was using non-rehoused Kowa anamorphics last week with an Epic Dragon, and when we wanted to use the 75 or the 100mm, we had to velcro on a counterweight to the back for balance, because they were longer and heavier than the 40 or the 50.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion. Thanks,
    -Graham

3. Arthur Woo

Arthur Woo New Member

Thanks for the detailed response Graham! I've been using still lenses. However I did try a cinema lens today...def was reaching the limit with the longer body. I think the more front heavy definitely needs the side plate!

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I know some guys who just take their battery plate and make up their own things with Dual-Lock\Velcro and aluminum plates. I like my Freefly carbon plate and most of my AC's seem to appreciate it. I also have the Freefly Arri Mini battery plate and I think it's an even better design.

The bottom plate for the Movi isn't that long, and so balancing it can sometimes run into issues. I made up a couple of counterweights from parts I found at the hardware store, so when we use heavier lenses, I can throw them on easily. Just heavy metal squares with holes in the middle of them, like these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Fas-n-Rite-1-Count-5-8-in-Plain-Steel-Standard-SAE-Square-Washer/50328709

http://www.lowes.com/pd/SUPERSTRUT-5-Count-3-4-in-Galvanized-Coated-Square-Washer/3284472

I tape a couple of them together with electrical tape and put some Scotch Dual-Lock on them for quick attachment. I don't have to use them too often, though.