/dist/images/branding/favicon

Recharging the Movi

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Kevin P Riley, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

At 18:09 in the latest video series Tabb says the Movi should recharge in about an hour and a half, if you have a high powered charging brick and USB-C to USB-C. Which made me wonder if I could charge the Movi with my MacBook Pro charger. It's USB-C/Thunderbolt and has an 87W charger. Do you know if that would harm the movi?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think it would harm the Movi, but I suspect you're asking will it harm the Lithium Ion batteries in the Movi and the answer is a cautious "it should work" -- the USB specification limits the amount of DC current that the charger can provide.

This article here would tend to confirm that will be well: https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ks-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

The USB-C specification is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#USB_Power_Delivery_specification
    It suggests that it can provide up to 3 Amps at 5 volts -- which would be more than FF's USB-C to USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 connector as I understand it (I haven't had time to research all those specifications to see how power they can provide, but I think the max for 3.0 is up to 1.5 Amps (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Power_and_charging)

So, "it should work" but please don't take this posting as a written guarantee that it will work....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Michel Corbin

Michel Corbin New Member

Is there a USB C charger that is recommended or approved? Is the wattage the main thing to consider?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There's really no need to specify a USB-C charger, Michel -- as long as it complies with the USB-C standard, then it's ok. So just use the normal rules for buying anything and remember the fourth law of thermodynamics: You get what you pay for! :)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Michel Corbin likes this.
  5. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

After using the Movi for about 3 hours yesterday, I charged it today with the MacBook Pro charger and it charged just fine, shut off when it was done charging...and best of all charged in about half the time it normally would have.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for posting your results, Kevin.

Andy

7. Michel Corbin

Michel Corbin New Member

Thank you Andy. I ordered the Nekteck 4 port 72W Wall charger (60w for USB C) which was recommended by the wirecutter website.

8. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

9. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

• USB C: Movi supports charging speeds up to 35W with USB C type chargers. At 29W (most USB C chargers), Movi should charge in a bit longer than one hour.
    • USB A: Charging from a USB A type charger supports up to 10W. At 2.5W (most USB A chargers) it should take about 8 hours to fully charge Movi.

Steve Huether likes this.