/dist/images/branding/favicon

Recharging batteries in the field.

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Chris Babiana, May 29, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Has anyone successfully used a deep cycle marine battery to recharge in the field? Seeking a feasible option without breaking the bank.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I had a deep cycle marine battery. 115AH biggest thing that Walmart sells that I was using in my summer art shows for LED power. Running my Hyperion in the only test that I did it dropped to 65% capacity after charging 2 FF 9000's. Went back to my generator.

4. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Chris. I charge in the field very regularly from a 12V battery. I use the Hyperion 720i chargers (sometimes one sometimes two). Since my boat is not getting a lot of use these days I grabbed one of my spare batteries (Interstate 27M XHD). It can out put 25 amps for 180 minutes. Since I am careful about not running my QC 8000s too low before landing, I can get at least 8 charges in the field from one battery. There are certainly other batteries with more capacity out there, but these were less than $150 and I already had some of them around. I also don't charge my batteries very quickly so the 25 amp availabilty easily covers me when charging 2-4 batteries at a time. I have had no problems at all and prefer hauling a battery around over a generator. Of course I don't have unlimited capacity like a generator could provide, but I do have a second battery if I ever thought I was going to use that many in a day - and physical space is a factor for me so the battery option was just a better fit.

In my helium balloon days of doing aerial photography I have used a Bass Pro brand battery (175 series) to power a big Talen series SuperWinch that put the balloon up and pulled it back down. It had a 75 amp draw so I always had 2 batteries with me for that and the Bass Pro batteries held up quite well. I forget how they compare in price to the Interstate batteries, but have been very happy with the Interstate brand.

5. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks guys. I have a battery, so I'll give it a shot. But the generator sounds like the way to go for multiple recharges.

6. Jon Fredericks

Chris - we use a deep-cycle marine battery all the time. We get about 8-10 charges of 8000 mAh batteries with it. Very handy to take along on shoots to keep some additional flight batteries rolling.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I must have had a bad battery on my single test.

8. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

John....what's the make and model of your battery?

9. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

The EU2000i is just about perfect for our needs. I love it. I do wish it were just a bit smaller. The 1000 is tempting for its size and weight but not quite enough 'oomph.

Chris, if you do get a battery please keep us posted. It's interesting to hear that guys are using those. Wonder how the weight compares between a 2000 and a marine batt? I think a 2000 is about 50lbs.

nick

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Nick a series 29 Deep Cycle Marine battery is typically about 65 lbs. mine is heavier than the HONDA eu20000i

11. Jon Fredericks

12. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks John...I'll try one out.

13. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Most people don't charge/discharge Deep Cycle batteries properly. They need bulk, absorption and float charging. Once a month I equalize charge also. It takes 24 hours to properly charge one. They should also be deep discharged to about 60% capacity after each use or it will shorten their performance/life quickly. it is very hard on them to charge just a few batteries and then recharge them. I perform an equalization charge once a month also. I run two in series to power my I-charger at 24v.