receiver warning during one of my recent flights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by David N Atkisson, Mar 23, 2013.

1. David N Atkisson

Hi Folks,

Recently I was doing a flight in the vicinity of some pretty huge electrical transmission towers. I wasn't flying anywhere close to the actual wires but they where in sight behind me around a quarter mile away or so. My question is whether being this close to these hi tension power lines could disrupt my signal from receiver to transmitter.

The reason I ask is because while flying I got a receiver error warning over my earphones. The copter seemed to still respond to my controls but I was wondering if this is something I should be careful of. I was flying out in the middle of the desert actually over the San Andreas Fault line and I could see the towers. I know that these kind of transmission lines can actually disrupt my cell phone communication when I am near but wonder if they could affect my transmitter and receiver and cause safety issues with flying in these areas.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm just speculating, but yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see those power lines causing interference. They're sizzling with so much energy (and noise) and appear as a giant transmitting antenna. I'd avoid them like the plague.

As to their effective "range" -- hard to say.

It sounds like you were lucky that the Tx/Rx is digital -- it sounds like it still managed to "punch through" the noise, but only just.

Andy.

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hey David,
    Yes power lines can disrupt signal from receiver to transmitter, I have a X6 dragonflyer which almost took my head off flying close to power lines. Since I changed to cinestar and MK and flying on construction sites near power lines I have turned off the compass. Which has caused yaw problems and one fly away!! I flew over a crane once with compass on and it turned 180 degress on me and took off quite a scary experience. Be warned!

I think this also the cause of crashing inside if you dont turn of compass with a MK.

so if you do fly near those things turn off your compass and be prepared!!

As I like to say to people '' IF I DUCK YOU BETTER RUN''