/dist/images/branding/favicon

Really need help M15 goes crazy!!!

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Manuel Gallo, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Manuel Gallo

Manuel Gallo New Member

Solved

Attached Files:

#1 Manuel Gallo, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Email Freefly Manuel - sounds like you damaged your unit.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Manuel ditto on Derek's suggestion.

4. Manuel Gallo

Manuel Gallo New Member

#4 Manuel Gallo, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Manuel, I'm trying to think what the problem could be, but I don't feel I have enough information.

Are your motors getting really hot or stiff? If so, you might look at this thread: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/motor-hot-and-smoking.7064/#post-64511

If it were me, I'd want to first do a detailed physical inspection. Every latch should be opened and closed, and if it doesn't latch securely, then you should slowly tighten the bolts until they close firm. Inspect each motor, the mounts, and make sure the gimbal can move smoothly and freely. Also, check your Toad-in-the-hole connection and make sure it's snug and there's no play in it.

From there, I would tune the Movi manually. Freefly released a new video on tuning the Movi with Akira firmware.

The fact that you're using the Gyro filter output so heavily to try to compensate seems like it's confusing matters. I would reset and start over.

Finally, please follow up with us on what you hear from Freefly and how this gets resolved. I see so many threads started here and many don't reveal the final result, which isn't helpful.

Good luck!
    -Graham

6. Manuel Gallo

Manuel Gallo New Member

First thanks everybody for the help and thank you Graham!!
    Yes I checked all the screws, I opened every latch and closed back again, I fully removed the cage to check the motors and tightened all the screws... I have to say that probably i made a mistake using the word "shakes" because it's not the kind of shaking as shown in the video you linked...
    Probably I should have to say "vibrations" or noise... It's the classic vibration you hear when you push the parameters to max, but instead of 240 it starts already at 45!
    I wrote to freefly, I told them about the little bump inside the box, cause I like to be honest but I don't think that this little bump can be the reason of that.
    After all I've always had some trouble with a strange little continuous drift on the Pan when balancing on tripod and high temperature... like 45° in 30 minutes!
    Anyway, I'll keep you updated on this situation...
    When freefly will answer me I'll tell you everything! It would be fair if they respect the terms of warranty and change the movi with a new one, after all I repeat, it's impossible that it breaks for a little bump inside the bag with the foam... I mentioned the fact of the bus cause I was trying to figure out why all of a sudden it stopped working!!!
    thanks again... And I do apologize again for my english! thanks guys! I'm really worried!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think the Movi would be damaged with a short drop while in a padded case, especially without signs of physical damage, but I suppose it's possible you could have damaged a motor or motor bearing.

Have you checked all your cable connections, up under the covers on the Movi Motor Control Unit? Also, I assume you have tried a full battery? The one on the diagnostic screen capture above reads out at 14.8V, which is a little low.

The drifting is odd, too. Do you have a dual-op controller hooked up, like the Mimic or Spektrum? You can get some drifting from those, but in Majestic Mode, it shouldn't drift. What is your Heading Assist set to under General->Expert Panel? Mine is set to <none>, because I'm typically working in Handheld mode.

I agree a Pan stiffness setting of 45 is a bit low to have these vibrations. For reference, these are my current settings with a relatively light camera setup on the M15, running Akira 5.0.1:

Pan: Stiffness 137, Output Filter 10
    Roll: Stiffness 75, Output Filter 5
    Tilt: Stiffness 51, Output Filter 1

Hold Strength: 8 for Pan, Tilt, and Roll
    Jolt Rejection: 7
    Max Control Rate: 200

Gyro Filter: 5
    Output Filter: 1 (Changing this value overrides the individual Output Filters listed above)

When I put heavier cameras, like Red Epic's or Alexa Minis, my Stiffness values are often around 160, 100, 100 for Pan,Roll, and Tilt.

If you have high-frequency vibration (sounds like a digital buzzing), then you can try increasing the Output Filter values. If you have low frequency oscillations, try decreasing them.

Thanks for keeping us posted on what you find, Manuel. I hope you get it solved quickly!!