/dist/images/branding/favicon

Re-balancing changing lens?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ricardo Mor, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

Hello Community,

Freefly says: "Each time the camera setup changes substantially, the MoVI may need Stiffness parameters re-adjusted. The reason for this is that as you change the weight, and balance of the camera and lens the maximum Stiffness setting that each axis can achieve will change"

So, my Set Up is normally Sony A7s with CP.2 50mm Lense and when i change to my CP.2 25mm sense i have to re-balance the Movi. The lenses have the same weight. 0,9 KG but i think the place of the glas is a bit different.

Do you think i have to re-adjust the stiffness? or it is when i change to a completely different lens, for example a Olympus 20mm with 600 g ?

thank you

greetings from germany

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ricardo,

I don't normally re-tune the motors between lens changes, although I do re-balance the camera and gimbal - usually just the tilt axis. I would only suggest re-tuning if you're having performance issues or noticing oscillations\vibrations with the motors.

In my case, I use the Movi M15 handheld on commercials and usually there are a bunch of people waiting on me and my assistant when we're changing lenses, so we're in a bit of a rush.

3. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

Hey Graham,
    thanks for your answer :) Okay, thats a good argument. On a Set are many people who are waiting for us.. so you can't spent too much time for changing lenses.
    But i Think you can save Presets for any Set up: For example: you have a set up with different lenses. At home/office you balance and get the right Stiffness for every lense and save it as a preset. So you can switch on Set to the right preset with the right lense.

I hope you understand, sorry for my englisch :(

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

That's also a good idea, Ricardo.

Fortunately, my normal prime lenses tend to be fairly similar in weight, but when we shot with anamorphic Kowas the other day, they were very different, and sometimes we added a diopter filter, which really changed things. I even had a little counterweight with velcro on it that we used when we threw the long lens on, because it wouldn't balance otherwise. Might have been smart to have a stiffer setting for that, but the Movi seemed fine with it at the time.

Thanks,
    -Graham

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Even if the total mass of the camera + lens etc. doesn't change much, the center of gravity of the "mass in motion" on the MoVI might change -- and that's part of the reason for the need to re-tune. If the total mass in motion changes, that's the other reason for rebalancing.

But the tuning is deterministic -- the same mass in motion with the same centre of gravity will use the same tuning values. OK. Perhaps I should hedge a little: "should use the same tuning values." :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.