/dist/images/branding/favicon

Random micro vibrations with Pro when mounted to car via Black Arm

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Chris DelaGarza, May 1, 2018.

1. Chris DelaGarza

Chris DelaGarza New Member

I have a Black Arm with the tranquilizer head and MoVI Pro mounted to my Toyota Tundra. I have used the Black Arm with a Ronin 1 in the past with a lot of success so when mounting the MoVI to it I was figuring this would remarkably better.

The problem I am have is a small micro vibration that seems to be occurring and is visible within the frame. I have the Black arm weighted correcting and everything I am using is for the weight range of my MoVI and camera I am running a Sony A7sii with a Canon 16-35. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this small vibration? Are there specific settings for the MoVI pro when mounted to a vehicle? Or is it something I just need to sack up and dial in?

Thank you for any and all help you can give me. I apologize if this is on another forum. I looked and didn't seem to find one specifically pertaining to this issue Im having.

Chris

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

3. Even though I provided a detailed answer to Chris Delagarza via the Freefly support ticket he filed, it is also worth bringing up something I have mentioned in a small handful of other posts./tickets over the last few years, in reference to people using Sony A-series camera bodies with in-body sensor stabilization.

Please understand that Sony has designed their sensor stabilization for handheld use. The internal algorithm for sensor stabilization revolves around it being exposed to a small widow of vibration/stabilization, only when the camera is being used in those handheld conditions, and primarily for still image use.

By placing that camera body, or any other camera body with in-body sensor stabilization, in an environment that exposes it to frequencies/vibrations the camera body was not designed to handle, it increases the chance you will encounter various types of "small micro vibrations", and/or image artifacts in the footage.

In the Sony bodies, the mechanical assembly that allows the sensor to move/stabilize can move/vibrate in certain conditions, even when the in-body sensor stabilization is turned off.

Graham Futerfas likes this.