rain cover for Movi XL

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Mira, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Mira

Mira New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience as to using the XL when it is raining? Or on a boat? How do you best protect the head against water?

Thank you very much,
    Mira

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Active Member

Juan Lima in Argentina had built some rain skirts for the XL, and was talking about selling them. You can find him on Facebook in the Movi XL Users Group. I've just recently used plastic Packing Wrap but it's not 100% rain proof.

On the Movi Pro, I've taken a garbage bag upside down, poked a small hole in the middle of it, and fed the toad in the hole through so it wears the garbage bag like a skirt. With a large enough garbage bag, this could probably work on the XL too, at least for light rain. Don't cut the hole get too big or it might leak more. Double-bag for safety and tuck the front up under the matte box. The motors will be perfectly free of the garbage bag.

This is a a link to the packing wrap I used recently on an XL where it was getting splashed by mud and water: https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Gadge...8&qid=1517929671&sr=8-6&keywords=packing+wrap

IMG_3742.jpg

3. Mira

Mira New Member

Thank you very much for the advise! More or less what I thought, I was just worried about anything getting caught in the motors with the garbage bag method.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Active Member

If you just hang the garbage bag down, it won't interfere with the motors at all. It goes over the whole rig and just hangs there. In high wind or on a moving vehicle, the bag might blow in the way or create drag.

5. Matias Mesa

Matias Mesa New Member

Im in the process of making them, hope to have news next week, it took much longer than expected but I should be able to post pictures and prices hopefully by next week.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

dry cleaning bags and some bongo ties work well for me

7. Mira

Mira New Member

let me know when you do have pictures!

8. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

here are the dry cleaning bags
    single use
    just pulled it on from the front and it made it to cover the roll motor
    Gaffer tape on the tilt motor
    another dry cleaning bag on the camera etc
    If it had gotten bad I would have made a 5/8 frame and lid for the whole unit IMG_1556.jpg

9. Mira

Mira New Member

thanks. That looks like it´s only for when the head is in standby, not for shooting, correct?

10. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

there are 2 bags the bottom one is just for stand by yes.
    I have done it like this (with 2 bags) on other heads while shooting, the head is strong enough and the plastic is light

11. Matias Mesa

Matias Mesa New Member

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7531.jpg Im sorry guys, I won't make them, it is really hard to have them made with the standards that I think they should have and I dont have the time for it. Try to get ahold of Scorpio stab Rain covers, they fit perfectly and with just a few mods it becomes an ideal match.