/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Domenico, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Domenico

Domenico New Member

Hi Guys I'm new new new so I hope I can learn from all of you here on the forum, may I ask what is the benefit of update to the Radian vs keep the regular servo on the CineStar 2-Axis Camera Gimbal?

Thank you

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

The Radian is just the sensor pack that runs the servos on your gimbal. You will keep the original servos on when you use the Radian.

Josh

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Zachary Shields

Zachary Shields New Member

Hi, I am curious about the question of setting up the Radian system with the Cinestar 2 axis Gimbal as well. I use a DX8 and was told by Quadrocopter that using the Spektrum stuff with the 2 axis Radian system is really difficult to set up. Are there any tutorials out there to show you how to set up the Radians on 2 axis. is it worth it???

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zachary there are several posts in the Radian section that discuss Spektrum systems that might help you.

6. Domenico

Domenico New Member

It was told me today from sales that (from what I understood)
    Is a step up in the quality is stabilization.
    I'm curios to understand how much improvement you get
    Like 10% 20% .... How much is wort spend another 1500 for the three axes?
    Anybody know if there is a video that show with and without radians?

7. Zachary Shields

I couldn't find any specific posts in the Radian section about specifically setting up with Cinestar 6, 2 axis with DX8. Could you point me in the right direction?

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Domenico you don't give a point of comparison. Radian compared to what other stabilization that you are using?

9. Zachary Shields

Any threads that talk about the 2 axis with DX8? I couldn't find any.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The DX8 is a Spektrum radio isn't it? Many postings on Spektrum setups and how to use with the Radians. Perhaps I am not understanding your question. Are you asking about how to setup specific controls on the DX8 to control the gimbal and Radians?

11. Zachary Shields

I'm basically looking for the method in which someone installs and controls the Radians with Spektrum components. I see some short comments here and there on the forum but I have not been able to find any complete set up process. Even Quadrocopter said they haven't done it much. Anything like that out there??

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

My 3 axis system runs great using Spektrum. I would expect the 2 axis to work just as well. Mine is setup as per the Radian manual.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad, can you confirm that the only real difference might be that with the Spektrum if you connect a Satellite to the Radian you still need to supply some type of power source, BEC or something else? If you were running off of a Graupner or Futaba RX then there is usually 5V power when you make the connection to the Radians. That is the missing link with a Spektrum Satellite.

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I have a 3s 1200 mah battery going through a castle BEC that then runs into the Pan Radian. For a 2 axis setup I would do the same thing but run power to the Roll Radian. My thoughts are you would need to bind 2 satellites to the transmitter. One for the copter and the other for the Radians to control the Tilt. Now.. having said that I've never tried to bind and power up 2 satellites on the same system. Ill see if I can find another satellite laying around here and do a test.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad try it using the following setup. Looks like it will work if you do the binding of both Satellites at the same time. Found this with a google search. Others were doing the same thing with the DX8. Found this HERE

I got my dx-18 home and started paying with it, pretty neat. It bound 2 9 channel rec's that are dsm2 so I tried what I have in dsmx which is the 8 channel rec that came with and a powerbox 12 channel I bought for my 35% extra, they both bound right up and worked together. I put the bind tabs in both rec, powered them up and hit the bind screen in the dx-18, the lights stop flashing and it binds right up. Don't bind 1 at a time as the trans will use a different set for model match with each rec, as you bind 1 you unbind the other, bind both at the same time.

Or this:

As any spektrum receiver, the diversity board and the satellite receivers connected to it will have to be bound to your spektrum transmitter. To enter the binding mode, you will need to hold the binding button pressed while powering on the circuit. All attached satellite recievers will be blinking fast during binding mode. The LED on the diversity receiver board will blink briefly 3-6 times, then it will turn off for a few seconds after which it will start flashing again - waiting for the RC signal. At this point follow the instructions of your RC transmitter to turn it on in binding mode. When the RC binding signal is detected, the satellite receivers will follow their routine of binding and blink slower. When the binding is complete, the LED's on the satellite recievers will stay on and on the diversity board will turn off.
    If the binding does not succeed, then it must be repeated still maximum 3 times. The diversity controller has been programmed with 4 different binding sequences for different spektrum product combinations, and try each of these at the next binding attempt.
    Every time new spektrum receivers are connected the binding process has to be repeated.

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Alright, I found my spare satellite and tested my 3 axis system configured to run 2 axis for a single operator. For the gimbal I have a 1200mah 3s pack going through a Castle BEC into the Roll Radian. A pair of Spektrum satellite receivers were bound to the same transmitter (binding process to follow) for control.

Configuration of my DX-8 for both copter control and camera tilt are as follows:

1: Copter Roll (aileron)
    2: Copter Tilt (elevator)
    3: Copter Throttle
    4: Copter Yaw (rudder)
    5: empty
    Aux1: empty
    Aux2: Radian Mode (3 position)
    Aux3: Camera tilt

You may notice that I dont have altitude or GPS functions. If I were to connect those I would do Vario Alt on 5 and GPS on Aux1

First step is binding the satellites. I had a diversity board laying around that had never been used so I thought I would try the method Gary found above. In order to bind to the diversity board I connected a satellite cable from my receiver to the first port on the board. Then run a satellite cable from the 2nd and 3rd port on the board to your satellites. Do not use the bind plug on the main receiver to bind as you normally would, the diversity board bind button takes the place of that. Holding the bind button, power up the main receiver. The process is just like the description in Gary's post #15 above.

The only remaining step is to program your Tilt Radian to a channel for control. In my case, 8.

Brad