/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Software Install Issue

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Drew Roberts, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

Hey Everyone I am in the middle of setting up my radian and I cannot install the software, every time I open the setup file it asks me to "Please insert disk."

Not really sure what to do from here and there is not any special instructions on the website or any mention of install in the radian instructions.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you unzip the file to your computer? Some folks have tried to run from the zip file and that won't work.

3. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

Thanks that worked! I am not used to using PC's.

Now that i have it installed I set the COM port to 10 and open the software and it tells me that "error opening comms port 10: port already open"
    I am not able to establish a connection with the radians... I have tried to move the com ports around and re selected the corresponding port in the radian software with no luck.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Drew I would do a reboot. You say you are not used to using a PC. You will need to check to see what COM port is operating when you hook up the Radian. If you don't know where to find the Manage computer to look at the COM ports let me know and I can get you a screen shot.

Are you a MAC guy running Windows.

5. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

I am a MAC guy but I have a PC set up as my base station to use in the field. I just did a restart on my PC and ill try it again.

And it worked!

Thanks for your help. Im sure this will be the first of many little issues.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Isn't windoz fun?

7. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

A BLAST!!!! LOL

I am now have a connection with the radian. I am using the spektrum dx6i as my controller and the only thing that is working is my 2 pole MODE switch (off position and the slew control)

I am able to get the gimbal to stabilize but not able to control tilt or pan to move is there anywhere on this forum that details the gimbal setup with the spektrum transmitter.

I raced competitive Offroad RC trucks about 10 years ago and Everything has changed! Steep learning curve.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Drew not sure if this helps but each one needs to be programmed separately. After connection the first step is to do a read. If the config window shows after the read that it is set as roll but you are on the tilt Radian then click Tilt-1 and do a write. Then change the mode to your mode switch channel and the slew to whatever channel is controlling the tilt. Try the gain at about 130 do a write for all of the changes and tilt should be working.

Same process for roll, just no slew channel and pan.

9. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

This was a big help! Thanks. I was able to get the tilt to work perfectly but now I am having issues with the pan. I connected the cable to my pan radian and clicked connect then I clicked pan 1 and set the slew to channel 1 and I write it. the pan servo starts to spin nonstop (even if i pick it up) and I am not able to control it at all with the transmitter. I feel like it is trying to stabilize with any movements but it doesnt seem like its doing it correctly.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Do you have the mode control on a 3 position switch? Mode 0 (-100) is Radians not working, Mode 1 (0) roll/tilt stabilzed, pan not working, Mode 2 (+100) everything being controlled and activated. So take a look at what you have for a mode switch. If it is only a two way switch that might explain why you are seeing the behavior.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, double check that the resistor pack on the pan servo is properly connected. If it is try swapping with the resistor pack from another axis just to double check.

Andy.

12. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

Ok i got it working!

I just needed to write to the pan axis and then do a herd reset on the radians it is now working perfectly. What gain settings are you running on the pan?

I am running the Spektrum DX6i so i do not have a 3 pole switch unfortunately so it is looking like I can only run OFF and SLEW CONTROL and I cant run the basic stabilization without slew.. Do you know of any way I can set up all 3 modes on this controller. Also trying to set up my remote shutter switch for my gh2 but I am not getting any readings form any other switches on my controller... Im happy with the progress so far though cant wait to get this thing in the air.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Do you have a rotary knob control available? You could use that.