/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Janne Hoglund, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Yes are we gone see that one or not :-(
    Now trying to get the software working on my Mac using WMware fusion, but having no success at all :-(
    Best regards and thanks for an otherwise awesome product!
    /Janne

2. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Parallels desktop with win7 works fine here.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Janne:
    Are you finding that VMWare is not properly virtualizing the COM port? Or are you seeing some other problem?
    I must admit that I took the easy way out rather than fight VMWare and use Boot Camp so that more of the Windows operating system is talking to the hardware.

Andy

4. Pavlos Antoniou

we want MAC...!!!

JanneH. likes this.
  5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Thanks all, but I did surrender and borrowed a PC :-(
    MK software works fine under WMware, but Radian shuts down every time in just a few, 2-3, s. sadly so what the core of the problem is i dont know?
    Andy, is there some way that I in ¨advance ¨ can make the COMport go the proper way??
    Mac Boock Pro 10.7.5 with 8 GB Ram.

6. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

I went with Windows XP since its the one with least problems as far as I´ve heard,
    but my PC knowledge is far from anything to brag about ;-/

I have been working with pro photography since 1980, 100% digital with Mac since 1996.
    Respect anybody working with PC but for me .....well its not my cup of tea!

7. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I tried using VMWARE and bootcamp on an IMAC and a mac laptop, both would not allow me to even install the software. I had to borrow a windows laptop get it to work.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. I'm not quite sure I understand your question, Janne -- when you say "advance" to what are you referring, please?
    Also, I'm not sure I understand "go the proper way." Do you perhaps mean "work correctly?"

As far as the Mac is concerned, I have tried VMware, but found that it was a little less reliable when it came to virtualizing USB/COM ports, so I switched over to using BootCamp -- Windows then is much closer to the actual hardware without virtualization, I believe.

Thanks
    Andy.

9. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I don't know if it makes a difference in Radian software but have you tried running WIN 32bit or 64bit? At least 32bit works great and stabile with parallels but with 64bit win things might be different.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's true, Janne. And MK Tool and MK_GPX, are certainly 32-bit programs as is the Radian software, I believe.

So they should at least run on a 2-bit Operating System.... (Sorry, computer geek joke from someone who uses both OS X and Windows...)

Andy.

11. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Thanks all, I´ll have to dig into this...

12. John Gore

John Gore Member

I too would like a Mac version for the software (radians and MK software). Currently dual booting my MacBook Air into Windows7 64bit to run the software (particularly like to have live telemetry running on every flight too, which my safety officer monitors, allow me to focus on flying).

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi John:
    Unfortunately the source code for MK Tool doesn't appear to be open source otherwise the temptation to convert it the Mac would be very real. Let me know if I'm wrong and you can find it in the MK repository....

Commenting on the conversion of the Radian Software is above my pay grade.... :)

Andy.

14. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I am having no problems with Win7 64bit install under Parallels Desktop 7 in both Lion OSX ( Mac Pro )and Mountain Lion OSX (Mac Air).

MK tools, Radian software and GPXTool v1.0 all perform without issue. As long as Win7 is running, plugging in the USB cables automatically connect to Windows and the COM ports are remembered and assigned appropriately ( com3 for MK [direct and Xbee] and com10 for Radian )

The biggest issue was to size Win7 virtual drive to be big enough to run properly but not eat up too much of the Air's SSD drive space.

Joe

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's ironic that the Mac Book Pro and the Mac Book Air are amongst the best hardware platforms on which to run Windows.
    I've tried running Win7 under VMWare 4 and 5, but there seemed to be something unreliable in the virtualization of the USB ports, so I cut over to BootCamp and that works fine -- although clunky to have to reboot and remember to hold down the Option key to get into Windows.

I use WinClone to backup the Windows partition on a weekly basis.

Andy.

16. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Please Tabb, this PC thingi is no fun :-(

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

IMHO I'd rather our vendors concentrate on making their code work well on one platform, and I'll just run Parallels, which works just fine for me. And I'm the biggest Mac fanboy out there. I know the SDKs and other things still favor Windows, though.

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy I run VMWare 4.1.4 on my two Mac's (Macbook Pro and a 2009 MacPro) with Win7 Enterprise and run into any issues. I install the USB drivers on the Mac side (Silicon Labs, Future Devices FT232R and Cygnal CP2102) and haven't run into any issues with drivers for MKTool, Radian, CastleLink, XBee). Are you installing the COM drivers on the Mac or the PC side? I've never tried it on the PC side.

19. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

I use WM Ware and XP, works with MK tools but not Radian SW.
    Is Parallels and Windows 7 a better solution?

20. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use Windows XP SP3 inside of Parallels 7 on Mac OS X 10.8 on my Macbook Pro 17" with Core i7 and all my copter software (MK, Radian, etc...) works perfectly.