/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian setup videos

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tabb: When you suspend the Cinestar horizontally to set up the pan Radian, do the straps or whatever you use tend to prevent the Cinestar from substantial rotation or do they allow it to twist in the breeze?

My setup allows twisting -- and I've noticed with a 5DMk III on the gimbal, the pan servo has a tendency to spin the booms/hub -- there being less inertia in the booms/hub than in the gimbal/camera system.

Also, thanks for the idea of the use of the three position switch for setting different Expos. For the ATV, did you use the End Point programming or the Rate?

Whoever wrote the Futaba 8FG manual re: switch setting method should be damaged so they cannot breed. It's AWFUL.

Andy.

2. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Andy: I have the oppesite question: I have allready set the 3 modes to my 3 position switch on my mx-20...
    My question is: How do I set the mx-20 to give me the 3 flight modes: atv. for the given channel as Tabb describes
    slow +-10%
    medium +-26%
    fast +-53%

can you help !

regards
    Bison

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy, the straps I use allow it to rotate pretty freely. Yes certainly if you take your hand off the top frame it will induce a crazy spinning dance!

On the 8fg I used 3 separate flight modes (like you would when flying an RC helicopter) and then I adjusted the ATV in each flight mode for the slew speed that Hugh preferred.

Tabb

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's a very good question and I'm afraid I don't know how Tabb set his up.
    I was thinking of doing it using Flight Phases to alter the amount of "travel." See page 96 of the manual...

But hopefully Tabb will see this post and tell us what he actually did.

Andy

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

So when you operate a transmitter in "heli" mode it usually gives you the option of different "flight" modes. These flight modes are used for normal, idle up1, and idle up 2 on a helicopter. I repurposed these "flight modes" to give us acces to set seperate ATV's and thus seperate slew rates for all 3 flight modes. In essence you select your flight mode and then adjust the ATV within that flight mode. Then move onto the next flight mode and adjust the ATV for Pan, Tilt, and Roll to get the desired slew speed.

Hope that makes sense! for those who have flown RC helis it will, for those who have not you may have to dive into your user manual for your radio.

Best,

Tabb

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bison: Start at page 126 of the Graupner MX-20 manual. If I understand it correctly, you can set up the flight phases for models regardless of whether they're aircraft or helicopter.

Taking what Tabb wrote, you'd create three different flight phases: Slow, Medium and Fast.

Then for each of those phases, use the Dual Rate Expo settings and set them up differently for each flight phase -- the Rate looks to be the closest to Futaba's ATV. You can also set the Expo for each flight phase too.

Let me know if it works out for you as I'm sure someone else is going to want to know the answer. :) (Probably me!)

Andy.

Morgan Friedland likes this.
  7. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Andy IT WORKS !!

I created 3 flight phases (you can do this even if you have selected model as airplane) (page 128)

I then assigned a 3-way switch to the flight phases (page 257)

Then in Dual/Expo settings I set dual for the speed and Expo for the sensitivity and rate of speed (faster the more stick input you give)
    flipping the switch between the 3 modes and you can adjust the settings as you like

Damm its getting better and better...

Thanks alot both to you and Tabb

Regards
    Bison

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Freeflysystems Radian...Wonders never cease ! It's just a matter of studying the manuals are turning over rocks.
    Enjoy,Bison.
    Greetings,
    Adam

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well done!
    I might use that technique on my MX-20 (which I use for flight control) for different Expo rates rather than just using a two position switch.
    The Futaba 8FG is a little more direct when it comes to setting up three position switches.

Glad to hear that things are getting better -- the MX-20 is a nice piece of kit. I really like having the voice speaking the current input voltage -- that way I can keep my eyes in the sky not staring down at the telemetry.

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Ok Andy and Bison and hopefully Tabb how about the same but with a Spektrum DX-8 any chance of a step by step guide to achieve this setting, I can see that this is a big deal setting, that only translates to better success with the Radiants and the CS gimbal specially in a pro with clients world, I really wish I had the knowledge and understanding of a veteran RC heli Pilot, but I dont, I happen to enter the RC world with a multirotor and having to learn, interpret, understand, assimilate, experiment, read and search, and scratch my head endlessly like probably many others out there to the intricate language, terminology, procedures etc, I know it takes time to explain this things but this features make a great product even better
    thanks guys if you can help me
    DX-8 w/satellite =camera
    MX-20 w/ GR-24 Pilot

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi JLO:

Welcome to my world! I had the same problem.

Forgive me for being crassly commercial, but this DVD set has a chapter that specifically covers the setting up of the MX-20/GR-24. I know the guy who made it -- and he's a bit suspect -- but I think the information is accurate. :rolleyes:

I don't have a Spektrum DX8 so I'm not sure how you'd go about setting it with the satellite. Anyone setup a DX8/Satellite for the shooter who could help out here?

Andy.

12. Jose Luis Ocejo

Thanks Andy I am actually set up and flying with the 2 radios they are working fine, the thing that is holding me is the addition of the cool features to the system like controlling the tilt with only the pilots radio, or this new one for the 3 position switch and the 3 slew speeds setting this as you know are more intricate settings to set up.
    All this is easy once you know it...

13. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Jose
    I had a DX8 but recently upgraded to the DX18. But I can help you with any settings you are trying to achieve with the DX8. Also, there is another thread here somewhere on making up a simple servo connection to control the tilt with the pilot radio. I set up a 'harness' to control tilt, zoom and photo trigger for single pilot ops, but am now onto a more interesting solution. Will let you know.

Joe

14. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Joe, Andy and Josh I got illuminated this morning and I think I got my 2 radio system to work correctly in setting up the Pilot radio Mx-20 to control the TILT independently of the Camera radio, when on a SOLO FLIGHT, when on a 2 man operation the camera radio (spektrum) in my case takes over for the gimbal camera part and the pilot radio MX-20 only controls flight, ok I just need to confirm that this is correct and move on to the setting up the 3 position 3 slew settings that Tabb talks 3/4 into the video thats on this thread, that, gets me in to menus of the DX-8 that I am not familiar yet, I would assume that you, or any one on a 2 radio setup would want this feature on your camera radio, again to have on a 3 position switch, soft, medium or stronger Slew for pan and I think tilt, hmmm not sure if tilt too? the way I see it, this is a big deal feature of the Radiants with the CS gimbal, I know there are 2 ways for me or others like me to achieve this 1, spend the time and the read and the head scratching tying to make sense, or have an experience pilot like you to guide us trough I really appreciate your help
    by the way do you happen to have the thread for the simple servo connection?

15. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

16. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Hey guys I am trying to set up aradian 3 axis gimbal and need to know how to set up the three position switch on the MX-12 any one know
    /

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nathan bit hard to explain in a post but if you follow the directions starting on page 94 of the MX-12 manual you should be able to assign a switch to one of your open channels, either 5 or 6. Read it a couple of times and then after you pick the channel go through the process. you can check the results on the Servo Display menu item. The result that you are looking for is with the switch let's say fully forward the display shows -100, in the mid position it is a 0 and fully towards the back it is +100.

18. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Gary If I give you my phone number would you mind speaking with me on the phone, w have a shoot tomorrow and we need to get this thing set up fast

19. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

On a call now with Nathan. Good to go.