/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian setup Software connection problems

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Michael Spencer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Michael Spencer

Michael Spencer New Member

I am trying to setup the Radian on my computer. I can't seem to get the setup utility to establish a connection. My USB device is set to COM 10 as well as the Radian setup utility. The radian is in programming mode (both lights on solid) and when I click connect it makes the yellow light flash once but no connection is established. What am I doing wrong?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you confirm, by going to the Device Manager and checking the COM & LPT section, which COM port number you have the USB Serial Device assigned to. That's the COM port number you should use.

Out of curiosity, when you power up the Radian, is it going to the both Yellow and Green LEDs on solid all by itself?

Andy.

3. Michael Spencer

Michael Spencer New Member

I've got it working. I have to say there is a small area of confusion in the instructions and videos. In the videos they show how to get the modules into Boot Loader mode by shorting out the 5&6 pins in which you get a solid green and yellow light. It was connecting to the boot loader software. I didn't know that you just plug the programming cable in without going into boot loader mode when using the setup software. Thats what I was doing.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear you got it working, Michael. And thanks also for the posting above -- it will help other members with the same question.

Andy.

5. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I can't get my radian to connect to the USB. I am using windows 7 using parallels on OSX 10.6.8

Radian USB connected to ports 5 and 6 as per the manual.

I change my COM port to port 7 and click connect. The same as in device manager (port 7) and it doesn't connect.

Any ideas?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sam did you install the Silicon Labs drivers on the Mac? And the cable has the Orange/Red wires installed so that they are on the front side (label) of the Radian?

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Just a thought...I find that both on my WinXP netbook and my MBP using Parallels that I have to do this:
    1. connect the Radian's USB cable to the computer and Radian with the Radians powered off
    2. wait for the "bong" from Windows
    3. power on the Radians
    4. start up the Radian software
    5. click "Connect"
    Any deviation from this sequence and it doesn't work for me. YMMV.

8. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I'm not really sure what got it working in the end, a combination of drivers, connecting only 1 radian... It's working.
    Thanks guys

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I find I can hot swap from one Radian to another but I may have to click Connect 10 times in quick succession before it actually connects.
    I think it takes pity on me as being a slow learner and finally gives in.

Andy.