/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Pan question

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Katya Nelhams-Wright, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi there. I have installed my radian 3 axis, balanced 5D II with 16-35mm canon lens, updated firmware and programmed each radian for it's corresponding axis. The roll and tilt work fine but I am having a few issues with the pan axis.
    I am initialising the system on the ground with transmitter (DX8) in off mode.
    Green lights on all three radians flashes rapidly then move to slow blink
    Orange light is solid orange
    The roll & tilt radians lock in the correct position but the pan moves to about 22 degrees right of centre
    Then when I turn the transmitter mode switch to 'fixed position stabilised' both green & orange lights on roll & tilt axis go solid & if I then hang the copter off the ground the roll & tilt respond correctly, the pan just stays where it is but not locked in, i.e. I can move the gimbal on the pan axis with no resistance.
    I then switch the transmitter to 'stabilised slew' all lights on the pan radian are solid and the slew works fine and gimbal is locked in and working fine although I do have a clockwise drift.

Is this normal behaviour for the pan and do I stop the pan drift by changing the trim on the channel on the transmitter, its on Channel 4, rudder.

The one thing I haven't done yet is balance the gimbal on the pan axis as have not put my video RC & batteries on yet so will do that once everything is on but I didn't think that would make much of a difference in on the bench tests.

roll gain is still 100
    tilt is 70
    pan 75

& slew rates on the pan s set to 60

Thanks, any help much appreciated:)
    Kat

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Sorry for the delay I was out on a shoot all today (Pacific time). Let me set my C8 up and see what happens. I'll let you know when I've done that -- probably Friday Pacific time, if that's ok. I upped my tree count and broken props by one....the cost of doing copter business, I surmise..

3. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Andy and hope your copters fine after it's tree landing:)
    Kat

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Katya: Yes, as usual, the Cinestar came through with shining colors. Just one small nick in one propeller which I swapped out on site. The beauty of the cylindrical boom construction is that things can rotate around the booms and thus absorb the energy.

It was, of course, my own fault -- shooting low passes over an orchard with trees at the far end. Human depth perception is just not good enough at even 50 meters distance and I *just* went a teensy bit too far... I'm wondering whether the distance readings I get in the Smart On Screen Display are repeatable enough (they don't need to be accurate, just repeatable), that I could have walked down the orchard with the C8, got a distance reading, and then always made sure to hold several meters short of that reading... I'll do some static experiments and see just how repeatable those readings are -- they'll be the "home" position to current position based on the GPS, so as I say, I don't expect accuracy, but it would be nice if they were +/-5 meters of repeatability.

I'll try the experiment later today -- just doing the "grand rounds" on the forum now. :)

Andy.

5. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Sounds a bit hairy but glad the copter came through OK.
    You'd have hope the OSD readings would be repeatable. I have just received my DJI OSD but haven't installed it. I was thinking of putting it on the copter rather than the gimbal and using my go pro as an FPV/OSD camera but have only just finished the latest filming block so finally have some time to get the copter up and running with the radian.
    If I can find it is the Apples film still of interest, if is I'll get onto it:)
    Kat

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Don't go to any great trouble to find the Apples film, Katya -- I'd certainly like to see it and I'll show it to the producer of the segment at Oregon Public Broadcasting -- I'm sure they'd find it informative....but don't "disturb the universe" to find it! :)

Thanks
    Andy.

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Will do:) Sorry to jump thread but was just reading one of your other posts about workflow & editing software. I'm not sure if it does transcode your codec but MPEG Streamclip is brilliant, pretty quick and free! They sometimes use it in the post house we work with. It certainly does a good job on 5D footage. Also I would recommend a programme called Shot Put Pro if you want to verify your footage has copied properly and you can also copy to multiple locations at once with it. It's about 100 dollars and here it's logs are accepted by insurance companies as a guarantee against footage corruption:)

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out. I tried Clipwrap on AVCHD footage from the Sony CX730 -- Preview on the Mac plays it flawlessly, but FCP 7 stutters badly when you play it back either in the Viewer or on the Timeline. Sigh. Premiere works flawlessly with AVCHD without any messing around....

As an alterative to Shot Put Pro, I use Synchronize Pro X -- it's one of the few copy programs that does a read-after write verify so you can be reasonably certain that the data is there. It's not specific to video, and can also be scheduled and runs across LANs.

Andy.

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I forgot your are a software guru:) will check out Synchronize Pro X.
    What codec are you editing in? Even on our big machines in the edit FCP7 struggles to play back quite a few things. Last year the series we are doing, we had to edit in XDCAM and FCP 7 would not make it through a 1 hour play back viewing so this year we are Pro Res HQ. I have heard that Premiere is great because it will play anything and apparently FCPX does the same but no one seems to use it here, FCP7 or avid all the way!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Katya:
    Going back to your original posting. Could you post a screen shots of the Diagnostic Window and the Configuration Window for the pan Radian sensor, please?

Thanks
    Andy

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Katya: Talking of XDCAM/FCP etc.: Well, I tend to shoot my educational DVDs on two or three Canon XLH1a's and they output HDV 1080i60, so I usually edit in that -- bearing in mind that DVDs are still standard definition (aka "crap def") unless they're BluRay ("high def"), so my requirements are a long way short of broadcast/movie. There seems little point in shooting in XDCAM HD 50 at 4:2:2 if you're going to end up throwing it all away for a crap def DVD.

However, I'm starting to see a need (from clients) for the Sony CX760 AVCHD to end up as XDCAM HD 50. I've also tried Pro Res, both LT and HQ. Whither the end client goes, go I!

I've not quite got my head around the syllogism that says it's better to convert to XDCAM/ProRes on ingest and edit in XDCAM/ProRes, or whether to edit in camera native (in my case HDV 1080i60). Seems like FCP/Avid/Premiere just has to munge through a lot more data when you switch to XDCAM/ProRes....is there really benefit in terms of transition quality rendering, for example?

I'm looking seriously at the C300 or even the new Canon 1DC. I shoot stills with a Hasselblad H4D-50 and have become acclimated to 12 stops of dynamic range. The Black Magic Cinema appears to have a nice wide dynamic range too, although it's pretty basic beyond that (according to Philip Bloom's super review).

Question for you: When you fly your C300, what batteries do you use (single/double) and what do you set your "come home" voltage to? There's always that tension between payload and flight time -- and I find it makes everyone (shooter and me) too damn rushed to line up a shoot, and shoot it smoothly because we're under the Damoclean sword of battery life.

Andy.

12. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Here we go Andy, I think, not posted a photo before and thanks very much for your help:)

Attached Files:

13. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Someone else on the forum will probably know better than me in terms of transcoding and codec type stuff but I don't think it makes a difference in terms of rendering what codec you are in. We deliver in ProRes so that's why we use it and also it's apples codec so is meant to work well with FCP. We certainly had less stuttering and stopping on the timeline editing in ProRes rather than XDCAM say.

In terms of cameras. I have not flown with the C300 yet, only just extended my side booms and installed the epic extender:) I use two batteries in parallel 2x4S 6500 and come home at 25%. With the 5D I only get about 7 mins so probably 5 for the C300.
    For a future camera I am looking at the 1DC on Tuesday at a demo day. Looks pretty interesting. The Black Magic needs an external battery pack and also there are only EF mount ones available right now and because of the chip size that means the widest you can get is about 35mm so not great. There is apparently a 4/3s one coming out which means you can then use all the panny lenses and all my GH2 friends like the camera but I think the larger chip cameras are better and the 1DC shoots 4k should you need it. There is also a new Sony coming out to replace the F4 I think so that could be good too but not sure about the weight of that one. I have used the C300 rather a lot lately and I must admit that I miss my 5D, nice and light and there is something about the large chip cameras and if you use a mixer then you can get round the sound issue too. But there seems to be a lot of new stuff coming out. There is also the new GH3 which is meant to be rather good upgrade from the GH2. Hope that helps.
    Kat

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Katya.
    By the way, it looks like you're using Windows 7 -- in which case, you can use the Print Screen key (or it's equivalent if you don't have it on your keyboard) to capture a digital image of the screen to the clipboard. From there you can paste it into another document (e.g. a digital paint program, Photoshop...)

Alternatively use Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool
    Using this technique you can capture just part of the screen.

The advantage to either of the above is that you don't have Moiré patterns in the final image.

Let me go dangle me Cinestar and see what I get.... I'll let you know.
    Andy.

15. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Andy.
    I can't send the pic via the PC as it's not configured for email, I only use it for DJI & Freefly software and that's it so sorry about the moire.
    Kat

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the reply on the ingesting to ProRes/XDCAM. It confirmed my suspicions -- you might as well edit as close to camera standard and then export the final movie using the codec for the format the client wants.

I hear you on the 5D. I'm using the 5D Mk III but the flight times are so short. I just got a pair of 10,900 mAH Maxamps rated at 150C peak discharge rate. Now I have to wait for the Oregon weather to be dry before I can fly them -- looks like that's a week from today -- although some days are only 20% chance of rain, just cloudy. A pair of those weighs 4.1 lbs (1.85 Kg), so it'll be interesting to see how efficient they are (where efficiency factors in the increased weight of the battery versus the extension to the flight time).

They're $310 each battery....so imagine showing up for a shoot with $3,000 in batteries!

ANdy.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh...sorry....my bad. I assumed that you were on the same machine for email and software. I'm like you -- I use a PC (well Mac Book running BootCamp Win 7). To do screen captures from my Mac, I use Remote Desktop for the Mac, reach out across the LAN, get the PC screen on my Mac, and then take a screen capture on my Mac of the PC. How's that for not letting technology get the upper hand!

If this technique is not too confusing, the link to the Mac remote desktop software (which is free) is http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client .

Andy.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I just done did the dangling, Katya. As you say, when the mode is Fixed Stabilized, the pan servo is not holding position and the gimbal can be rotated in pan.. The green light on the pan sensor is flashing slowly, the yellow (ok, orange, but it looks yellow to me) is on solid.

So, to go through your original email:
    I am initialising the system on the ground with transmitter (DX8) in off mode.
    Green lights on all three radians flashes rapidly then move to slow blink
    Orange light is solid orange​
    The roll & tilt radians lock in the correct position but the pan moves to about 22 degrees right of centre​

I do not see this motion in pan when the system first comes up. I'm not sure what would be causing it. I could see it being an irritant if you (like me) like to take off nose out and you power up the gimbal and now you're not nose out any more!

Then when I turn the transmitter mode switch to 'fixed position stabilised' both green & orange lights on roll & tilt axis go solid & if I then hang the copter off the ground the roll & tilt respond correctly, the pan just stays where it is but not locked in, i.e. I can move the gimbal on the pan axis with no resistance.​

That's what I see too.

I then switch the transmitter to 'stabilised slew' all lights on the pan radian are solid and the slew works fine and gimbal is locked in and working fine although I do have a clockwise drift.​

I see this slow rotation of the frameset above the gimbal. I do NOT see this when the C8 is flight though -- I suspect that the Flight Control board is nulling it out or that the flight dynamics are different from the "dangle dynamics."

Hope this all helps.
    Andy

19. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Brilliant, thanks so much Andy, all nice to know. My biggest annoyance is that I can't get the current degrees angle to read 0 on the pan and that is why the top part of the frame moves when first turned on but it doesn't seem to matter that much in the scheme of things. I will give it a fly Sunday and see what happens as that may eradicate a few things:) However, I am getting a rather annoying shudder on the tilt access when it's being controlled by the DX8 rather than the radian which causes the whole machine to oscilate right now so despite my very careful balancing I shall have to try that again and see if I can do better but I think a test flight is the best option. I tell you what, you should be very pleased that you no longer live in the UK, the weather has been absolutely terrible this year and it just seems to either be raining or windy, perfect copter flying weather. I think Britain should go down as the worst place to start an rc aerial filming business; when I got my octo in March it literally flew it 3 times before June because of the weather. Happy flying and thanks again. Kat

20. Katya Nelhams-Wright

You've definitely lost me now. Hopefully I won't need to send a photo from the PC again!:)