Radian on a Graupner knob?

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Mike Zintel, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I have a CS8, 2-axis, Radians, MX20, MK+GPS. I’m reaching the point where I am no longer a danger to myself in MKTools or the MX20’s menu.

The gimbal was configured by quadrocopter with a 3 way switch: tilt up (while actuated), hold, and tilt down.

It seems that a continuously variable knob would be a better way to control a gimbal. And I have some, unused, in front of me.

Can the gimbal be controlled via a potentiometer where value = position? I just watched a video where it was mapped to a stick, but the result seemed to be the same “3 state” configuration - on a stick.

Thanks.

Mike.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mike:
    The issue, as you have discovered, is that the Radian controls are rate controllers, not position controllers. That's to say the stick/switch controls rate of movement, not rather than moving the servo to a specific position corresponding to stick deflection.

You should however, be able to vary the rate of movement -- are you not seeing that?

Andy.

3. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I don't see that, but that's probably expected because I'm on the three position switch rather than a POTI.

Thanks.

Mike.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's certainly true -- if your basically sending just a tristate value from a switch. Try mapping it to that rotary in the Mx20. Post again if you need assistance on that.

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And what Andy is saying about the rotary is that if you rotate 10 degrees right of center and stop the gimbal will continue to tilt. The Radian doesn't know you want to stop like a servo. To stop you need to take it back to top dead center.

6. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I found it to be easier on the three way switch. That way I knew the tilt would stop in the center position. You can adjust how fast it tilts in the Radian software.
    With the rotary I kept overshooting one way than the other, as my dial didn't have a signal "beep" at the center. The center rotaries on the MX-20 do beep at center but I was using the left one, as it was easier to reach (but no beep).