/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian not functioning

Discussion in 'Radian' started by georgemcnabb, Sep 18, 2012.

1. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Hi there,

Anyone having this issue?
    Hooked up all the radians and set them up without servos attached as per the manual, when i plugged in the servo on roll all axis are stabalized but roll, roll radian has flashing green light, initially thought a servo issue as that is what green flashing light diagnosis is, no luck same issue. So i moved the unit to a different axis, tried as tilt unit, still same issue. I am assuming it is a failure of the unit and it is not sending/receiving a servo signal.

I thought of trying to restore the firmware on the unit however there is no software released for the unit or the boot loading software.

Current solution is i am running the pan servo using the roll aux out - a real pain in the ass!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

George

2. Larry Rippenkroeger

Larry Rippenkroeger New Member

I'm also having a problem I hope someone can help me with. I spent the weekend excitedly installing the new Radians but have reached a level of frustration I've never experienced before. I configured the system with a Spektrum satellite receiver and daisy chained the wiring to the other modules. Roll and tilt are working fine but pan is making me crazy.

After several hours of pan problems on the bench I tried hanging the copter as I read this might help sort things out, but no such luck. Here's where I'm at, regardless of gain settings, the moment I switch the mode to "stabilized slew" the gimbal quickly spins about 180, the green light on that module begins to flash and the pan function goes dead.

Please help!!!

Larry

3. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

probably the same issue to me, it seems that the unit will not put out a servo signal

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi George, lets see if I can help out.

Can you tell me some more info?

1. What radio system / receiver are you using?
    2. Did you setup the mode switch function on each module?

Thanks

5. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Larry,

1. Did you set the pan module defualts?
    2. Do you have the radian mounted on pan per the photo in the manual?

Sorry for the setup trouble! I will be on the forum for the next few hours and will do my best to get you sorted.

Tabb

6. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

HI Tabb,

I am using a spektrum DX7 using the satellite connection on the radian, all is working fine
    I have the mode switch setup on the 3 position switch, and aux from tilt for camera trigger, all is working fine.

it is only 1 unit that has the issue, seems weird, when i plugged it in initially the values were like 247 and 149 for slew etc.

George

7. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi George, did you select the DSM2 1024 option on the module which has the satellite plugged in?

8. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

No I left it as dsmx?

George

9. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

George, forgive me as I do not use spektrum very much...but isnt the DX7 a DSM2 1024 protocol?

Thanks

10. Larry Rippenkroeger

Hi Tabb,

I hope you can help me. I'm really at frustrated. Yes, I have the modules mounted the same way they're shown in the instructions and I set the defaults for each module. Right now I have Pan gain @ 60%, deadpan @ 10% and Input Channel for Mode is @ 3 as that was the easiest/quickest channel for me to use. Otherwise the other settings are @ default.

11. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Hi Tabb, excuse my slight mistake i am using a DX7S - i believe this is dsmx

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi George, It looks like it can be DSMX or DSM2 from the website. What RX are you using to bind the satellites?

I would just try checking the DSM2 box and see if it behaves as expected, I had to check it when I tested spektrum

Best,

Tabb

13. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

ok ill try it and see if i have any luck

14. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Hi Tabb,

DSM2 does not work, DSMX is working, i have it working on tilt and roll, so it is just the 3rd unit. Is there anyway i can restore the firmware on the unit?

George

15. Larry Rippenkroeger

Tabb,

Thanks for your help. It's working now and it's once again safe for my wife to speak to me when I'm tinkering with my cinestar...:)

16. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

No problem Larry, glad we got it sorted!

Best,

Tabb

17. justin hiebert

justin hiebert New Member

That is funny that you say that, I pretty much ripped my wifes head off when she called me one too many times when I was having the same problem. I had to deal with some hurt feelings this morning. What I don't get is I bought this 360 gimbel from somebody on this forum and it worked fine when I benched tested it. Now that I have a chance to do some corporate practice work next weekend(I know the president of a billion dollar corporation personally) all I am getting on two of my radians is blinking green lights and they aren't working. They did work, what gives?

18. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

This has nothing to do with Radians but I would save your ace-client demonstration until you have had a few live presentations in which you will likely experience a fail or two. Practice is good but there is nothing like having a group of people to impress to bring out Murphy's law. When you can successfully fly with half of your brain tied behind your back - then invite the big guy. It's not likely you will get a second chance with someone who is busy running a billion-dollar company. fwiw.

Steve Maller likes this.
  19. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Echoing what Joe said, most of us who have had some modicum of success in bringing these complicated systems to operational readiness have invested many, many hours of their time to clearly understand the nuances and quirks. No offense, but buying something like a Radian-powered gimbal and expecting it to be plug and play is going to be a very frustrating experience.

20. justin hiebert

justin hiebert New Member

I am just using an overhead crane that run the length of the building to mount the gimbal. Nice steady 3 mph movement. He knows that I don't have any airtime on it yet, but it is in the middle of winter here and too cold to fly. I want to test out my stuff. I figured out the problem by the way.