/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Issue? Please read this first!

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are having a Radian Issue please read the following first so that we can help you resolve your issue efficiently:

Aircraft Type:
    Gimbal Type:
    Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis)
    Gimbal Power source:
    Gimbal Radio Type:
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum)

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. GR-24 receiver and power.
    3. To Tilt sensor
    4. To Roll Servo

Tilt Sensor:
    Port

Pan Sensor:
    Port

Symptoms:

Steps taken to resolve:

Video of problem (this one is critical! If you can give us a good iPhone video with audio explaining what you are looking at we can usually resolve the problem very quickly. Please tell us what is going on in the video and at what time the issue happens.)

Please also do the following:
    a. With the gimbal powered off, connect up the USB and adapter from your PC to the Radian sensor to which you have the receiver connected.
    b. Power on the gimbal and sensors with the transmitter set to the Off mode for the Radian sensors.
    c. Use the Radian software, connect the Radian cable to the Radian sensor connected to your receiver.
    d. Click on the Connect button to connect to the Radian sensor, and check you have a connection.
    e. Click on the Read button.
    f. Take a screen shot of the Diagnostic and Configuration windows and post it to this thread with your response to Question 1 above.
    g. Then connect up to the other two Radian sensors in turn, do a Read, and take a screen shot of the Diagnostic Window and Configuration Window and post those screen shots too.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey, I couldn't have written this better myself! <evil grin>

But please folks, do copy and paste this into a message if you're having a problem.

The hardest part about trying to help you resolve your Radian issues is creating a good mental model for what's going on and how you have your system set up -- and without that mental model up front, we (and I now include my fellow moderators Gary Haynes and Brad Meier) have to tease it out of you so that we match your situation with what our mental model is -- and thus be able to impress you with laser-sharp diagnoses such as, "Aha, you've forgotten to connect up the battery." :) (See footnote)

Andy.

Footnote: No. I will never, ever, publicly admit that I have ever done this. So there. :)

3. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Big problem here :(

Tried 2 laptops and an imac running Parallels, whatever I do ( tried all possibilities I could find in the topic's) its imposible to get a connection with one of the three Radian's, also changed windows system language from Dutch to Engles, all without any result.
    One laptop is running windows 7 / other one Vista / Imac Parallels windows 7
    For me its looks like there is something wrong with the USB adapter.

Hope you guy's can help me out here!!

Full size: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12259815/img/Radian/foto.jpg
    [​IMG]

Full size: http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12259807/img/Radian/Radian-problem.png
    [​IMG]

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mario see my reply on the other post. Unit probably needs to have the firmware re-installed. Use the bootloader software to do that.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mario:
    The last time I saw something similar to this problem, it was because someone was double clicking on the Radian software while it was still inside a compressed Zip file. Windows 7 will run the program, but the environment of that the software finds prevents it from writing its log file.

Can you confirm that you have unzipped the folder in which the Radian software is located please?

Andy.

6. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

7. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

My spektrum satalite is DSMX

8. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

Another 8 hours. moltiple reboots .stripe downs and rewires ...pan works great . roll tilt dont work ....after 40 hours with these radians im realy bummed out .. now my files are too big to upload screen pixx id realy like talk t someone bout this gimme a numba ill call .. also idont type .just this is 15 mns

9. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

ROLL RDN in bootloader moad 2 solid lites solid green solid yellow... nott connected to computor..NOW get this.. i am able to make the yellow lite go out and stay out by holding my FINGER 2 INCHERS away from it ... when i move my hand away yellow comes back on .. solid..... 2 solid lites again .not good for moral .. 15 days to get replacment from QC in montana....think ive got my wagon hittched to a donky ..after reading of problems here i quickly ordered 2 more radians as it is evident that U NEED SPARES .. hopfully QC will live up to their reputation .. can i email my screen pix to u . ?? tookm with a litttle NIKON TB

10. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

For another project i would like to use one radian only ...with no receiver to keep level .. in one plain only is this possible that is batttery > radian>servo ?? trou

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You will need to provide a Mode control, Trou, otherwise you will not be able to get the Radian into Stabilized mode. I believe the Radian defaults to OFF.

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you see the posting on another thread to you about this. I detailed an experiment I'd like you to try.
    See http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ians-working-proppa-nice-but.1175/#post-14992 message #8

Andy.

13. Andrew Goodwin

Hey Andy, or someone else who knows. Wasn't sure where to put this, but I have a basic question regarding firming up the gimbal plate. I ordered a second CS8 Plate from QC and need to epoxy it together. What product should I use to do this?

14. Adriana Mateos

Adriana Mateos New Member

Aircraft Type: CS8
    Gimbal Type: 3 axis
    Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis) 3 axis
    Gimbal Power source: 1200
    Gimbal Radio Type: Graupner Hott Mx12
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum) PPM GR-12

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. power from pan
    3. To Tilt sensor
    4. To Roll Servo

Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1. power from roll
    2. shutter
    3. power for hdmi converter
    4. to Tilt Servo

Pan Sensor:
    Port
    1. GR-12 receiver and power.
    3. To roll sensor
    4. To Pan servo

Symptoms: doesnt matter in which position the radian are (off / fixed / slew) always at some point (each 20 seconds aprox) the radians receive an order that make him come back to a fixed stabilized mode. So if you're panning or just staying on off mode (but with the radians and transmitter powered up) it will act alone and go to a fix mode. It does it too without the camera on it. So it's not about balancing. And, for example, if I'm pannig to the right, and it does that erratical movement, then it will start going the other way, to the left. And if I'm panning and tilting, it will do it on both ways.

Steps taken to resolve: I have changed all parameters through the radian software, but nothing changed. I have update through the Bootlader the Radian Firmware (on the three radians). I have test it under the Default Settings as well; same problem. I think it has something to do with an electrical impulse or orders not given from me but from the MX-12 randomly. I dont know if its a servo, or that I just should update the Graupner...

The video I've attached, you see the problem while panning, but he never did it while tilting, I stopped recording. But he oftenly does.
    You can find it here:

Attached Files:

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Adriana thanks for the writeup. Things you might want to check.

1. For channel 5 (the mode switch) on the Graupner can you check that you do not have any expo settings configured for the channel?
    2. Have you tried changing the mode switch to another control and channel on the MX?
    3. What are using for power to the GR-12 and then to the Radians? What voltage?
    4. Any chance you have another receiver that you could try?
    5. When it does the pulse, if you are hooked up to the pan channel live, can you see if the Mode display also changes?

Your Radian settings look fine. When it does the pulse, if you are hooked up to the pan channel live, can you see if the

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Adriana:
    In addition to Gary's suggestions can you verify:

1. What version of the Bootloader did you use?
    2. What version of the firmware did you download to each of the Radian sensors?

Also, if the problem still persists after you have tried Gary's suggestions, start by unplugging the servo cable between the roll and tilt sensor (taking the tilt sensor off-line). Does the problem still happen?

If it does, then unplug the servo cable from pan to roll (thus taking the roll sensor off line). Does the problem still persist?

It looks like it might be an electrical noise problem, but we need to do Gary's steps and the ones above to eliminate other causes.

Andy.

17. Andrew Goodwin

Hey quick question regarding Radians. I've spent the morning fine tuning gains, and the QC 1200 was getting low, which often makes the pan axis go 'funny', twitches and goes a little nuts. Popped a new batt on there and now the pan axis is simply not working. Any suggestions? Damnit, I felt like I finally got this thing going where it needed to be and now it pulls this stuff. ugh.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you connect up the Radian software to the Pan axis and using the Diagnostic Window and the Input Channel Monitor verify that it's seeing the appropriate commands from the Rx please Andrew?

Thanks
    Andy.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Adriana, Andy triggered a thought. You should upgrade the Radian firmware. The screen shots show that you are not running the latest software (1.03). It may not fix the specific problem but is a better starting place.

20. Andrew Goodwin

Hey Andy,

First off, thanks for the response (and the often quick response to questions). It is much appreciated.

OK, so I did what you said and the input channel monitor is seeing the appropriate reading from the RX. The servo out goes a bit bananas when I turn to mode 3 (all 3 axis on). Roll and Tilt seem to work fine, but as soon as I turn on the third position to turn on pan axis, it goes crazy. I have gain at 75% and Slew rate at 60.

Upon trying again, the pan is completely un-responsive. I'm a bit baffled, never seen this before.