/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian glitch during update to 1.03

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Bryan Harvey, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Hi,
    Having problem with bootloader program and software update with one of my Radians.
    The other two went fine updating to 1.03.
    The problem Radian, under current version window says 255:255. Other errors I have received in my attempts in the error message window are "serial number mismatch" and in status window It says "program error " whenever I try to update.
    I am using windows XP and have tried full shutdown/restart many times.

These Radians are all new from factory, never used yet. Im just going through my initial setup procedure.

Also, another problem Im experiencing is in the Radian Stabiliser software I have been unable to connect to any of my Radians. I hit the connect buttom but the comms window remains red. Comm port 10 is set in the PC and that is what is working through the Booloader program.

Im a Mac guy. I HATE this PC stuff. SO frustrating, I spent hours just trying to get the Comm port to work, finally with success. At this point I dont know if Im having PC problems or Radian problems.

Is there some way to just reset my bad Radian and start over?

thanks!
    Bryan

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Bryan
    For what its worth, I am a Mac guy as well. I am running Win7 on Snow Leopard with Parallels Desktop and it is working great with MK and Radian software. Always remembers to port the USB to the Win virtual machine and keeps correct com port numbers..

Joe

3. John Cunningham

Hey Bryan, weren't the new Radians at 1.03 already ?.

Freefly need to update the web firmware to match the latest units out in service (it has various protection mechanisms).

Meanwhile pm me an email address and I'll send you the 1.03 which will program the stubborn unit.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Bryan:
    I'm not sure which version of Windows you're running, but can you get into the device manager and verify that under COM & LPT you see a USB serial port (and make a note of which COM port number appears next to it).

It sounds like you're having COM port troubles that are manifesting as weird problems with the Radians.

I've had some problems connecting to the Radians with Win 7. Especially when the USB cable is plugged into the Radian when I connect up to the Radian. It seems to work more reliably if I disconnect the USB cable from the "PC" (aka "a Mac"), connect the other end to the Radian, and then plug the USB cable back into the "PC."

As to reseting the Radian, I've emailed JohnC to see if he has a moment to read your post and respond.

I hear you with the COM port shenanigans. I run WinXP, 7 and 8 on Macs under Bootcamp (and under duress!)
    Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow. JohnC's message got to the forum before mine did. Thanks, John.

Andy.

6. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Thanks JohnC, the new software 1.03 (28-29) uploaded immediately. Does that mean I should now upload that version to my other two Radians that are already at 1.03?

Now on to the other problem of the Radian Stabliser software not connecting to my Radians. The next step is a bit unclear to me in the instructions. Am I to daisychain all the Radians together first, connect them to the receiver, and then use the Radian program on my PC to program? I have been trying to program them with nothing connected but the power source and the programming module, but still no joy on the the connection. My computer is set up for Com port 10, so all should be fine there as it worked with the bootloader already.

7. John Cunningham

No need to load the others : it's identical firmware. the problem is that the 1.03 on the freefly website won't load onto the very latest Radians until they update it - but it's not a big issue because they are all programmed with 1.03 already.

The receiver plugs into port 1 of the first Radian which then retransmits the channel data in SBUS format out from Port 3 and into Port 1 of the next Radian and so on - so they daisychain together.

To program each one, leave them daisychained together as normal and connect the PC cable into ports 5+6 of each Radian individually to program the settings you want.

Did you click the 'connect' button on the PC window to activate the messages ?.

8. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

I should add that I am setting this up for my gimbal to be primarily controlled for two-operater system with a Spektrum satelllite receiver (AR6210) Dx6i radio and then default to my Graupner MC-20 for single pilot ops when the Spektrum is switched off (as has been described here on other threads.)
    I am proceeding to do the intitial setup with the Spektrum system and then do the Graupner next. Is that the correct order to do this?

Johnc says "The receiver plugs into port 1 of the first Radian which then retransmits the channel data in SBUS format out from Port 3 and into Port 1 of the next Radian and so on - so they daisychain together."

John I follow this, but with the setup I mention above, wouldn'tt I plug the Spektrum receiver into that little bottom port underneath the Radian instead?

9. John Cunningham

Yes, you are right about the Spektrum

Remember to watch the Input Channel monitor window to choose your channels. When you have PPM and Spektrum together, some of the PPM channels will remain in channels 9..16 while the Spektrum will take over channels 1..8.

Use what you see to decide what channels you use to control the radian.

10. John Golden Britt

John Golden Britt New Member

11. GLT - Emotional View

Dear Sirs,

we are italian customer and we have the same problem of Bryan; firmware version 255:255.

We try to check the version of firmware of Pan sensor but after this test (firmware version 255:255) remain green light and yellow light stay on always and we cannot try to configure it. The roll and tilt sensor have a regular green light.

Can you help us asap?

Thank you and best regards.

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

GLT welcome to the forum. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

If you have already tried reloading the firmware then it may be a bad Radian. In that case you should contact your dealer to see about getting a replacement. Otherwise try to reload v 1.03 of the software. It is available at http://freeflysystems.com/products/freefly-radian.php