/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Firmware 1.03

Discussion in 'Radian' started by John Cunningham, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Wow, what a kool stuff this new Firmware :cool: , just upgraded on my radians and all works perfectly, the end points are just perfect for my camera ops...Many thanks for this.
    Marc.

2. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ryan:
    Can you give us any more details?
    For example, are you running the software under Windows 7 or XP?
    Can you connect to the Radian sensors? Or have you done so previously?

Thanks
    Andy.

4. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Hi guys,
    I just installed the new firmware 1.03 to my radians. Everything worked great on the pan and roll but the tilt radian had problems. I receive an error message every time I try to program the new firmware. The Update works for a short while and the error message comes in about half way through the update around 62 of 128. Also the tilt radian no longer works and the lights only come on in bootloader mode. Any ideas?

Bootloader Fail.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

I'm running Vista. Yes I've connected to the radians before. The roll and pan update worked with no hassles. Thanks for the quick response:)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. That's odd, then.
    The Bootloader is reading the serial number from the sensor.
    Let me see if JohnC has a moment to assist. I'll email him. He wrote the firmware and software.

Andy.

7. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Thanks Andy. Here is another image of the bootloader that now gives me a version number 255:255.

Bootloader Fail Version 255.JPG

8. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

OK.... I restarted my laptop and tried again. It worked on the first try. Sorry for any inconvenience. ;) Interesting error messages and version number huh?

9. John Cunningham

Hey Ryan,

The 255:255 version is showing the Flash memory for the tilt has been erased and not programmed.

First : did you try switching everything off and back on again ? (including rebooting the PC just in case).

I think the module must have a faulty cpu for this error - but we can try something just in case it lets you manage to program it:

When you go start the programming, as soon as you see it start to count up for the blocks, unplug the cable from the programming adapter (on the radian side, not the USB side). It will then fail with a timeout.

Do this three times then let it program normally. With any luck, it might be a memory location being reluctant to erase and doing the erase a few times might manage to clear it.

If it doesn't work I'm afraid you will need to return that module.

SORATIRIYA likes this.
  10. John Cunningham

Dang I was too slow.

I think you are just being punished for using Vista ;)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's amazing how many computer problems can be solved merely by power cycling and restarting things isn't it? :)
    Glad you got it working (and thanks for stepping in so promptly, JohnC).

Andy.

12. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't try rebooting PC and Vista:mad: before crying wolf here. You'd think after 5 years of surviving the misery that is Vista:mad: it would be second nature for me to reboot.... Thanks again Andy and JohnC for the quick responses. Great to know that when I really need it I'll have great customer service to back me. Cheers! :)

13. John Fox

John Fox Member

Can someone explain "fixed position mode" for the pan operation? How is this activated? I can not find any info on this.

Thanks,
    John

freefly screen shot.JPG

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The info is at Step 6 of the Radian documentation.

In summary, though: The Radian system has three modes: Off, Stabilized, and Stabilized Slew. It's controlled by whichever RC channel you assign to be the Mode channel for each of the sensors (you can have them all set to the same RC channel or different channels if you have channels to spare).

Usually, one assigns all three Radians to the same Mode channel, and assigns a three position switch on the Transmitter to be the Mode controller. In Stabilized mode, the Radian sensors will hold the camera at a fixed tilt and roll angle with respect to the Earth. In Stabilized Slew, you can deflect the tilt (and Roll if you choose), and also pan the gimbal.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.
    Andy.

15. John Cunningham

John,

Just to add to what Andy said :

When you go into 'Fixed Position' mode for the pan axis, it simply locks on to the current internal Radian Pan angle and holds it.

Remember that the Radian Pan angle is zeroed at initialisation and just carries on from there. It is not referenced in any way to the airframe above it so (for example) '0' will not bring it back to looking forward in flight - it will just be where the Radian thinks '0' degrees is.

The bottom line is : don't set a specific angle for 'fixed position mode' on the pan. Leave it at the defaults.

JohnC.

16. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Im having two issues with 1.3,

First, I updated two of my three radians to the new fw. But one of them wont enter boot loader mode, Ive tryed many times to short circut the pins on 5 and 6 with no luck. I know im doing it right because its worked fine on my other two radians.

Secondly once the radians are updated to 1.3 I cant seem to get them to connect to the radian stabilzer software 1.1. Ive set it up to com 11 as it was the only com port that worked with version 1.0. So I know it works on com port 11, and thats what i used in boot loader to update the firmware to 1.3.

Any ideas?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If I remember correctly, that technique only work on the beta test units. I may be wrong on that, though...

Could you try COM11 using an MK USB adapter to make sure that it works to talk to the MK Boards -- I'm just searching for ways that you can prove that the COM Port itself is OK?

Andy.

18. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

How are you supposed to enter bootloader mode on non beta units?

I dont use MK, only dji and ys-x6.
    I will test using different com ports again, i know it should be something very simple, it always is.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Duh....Sorry, Ryan -- I had my wires crossed (literally and metaphorically). On the beta units if you shorted the signal pin on port 5 to ground it would prevent the sensor from spontaneously going in to boot mode....disregard what I said above.

As for the COM port issue, yeah...I'm with you. It's usually something simple -- the trouble is that there are too many simple things that it could be.

Andy.

20. John Fox

John Fox Member

Thanks John,

I could see this having some use if you are looking to return the camera on the same heading as start. How is this activated? I have tried putting in everything from 0 - 180 and see no change in operation.

Thanks again,
    John F