/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian exodus

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Is there a Radian exodus? it is sad to see a year+ old product selling for a 1/4 of its original price
    any one knows about that Radian firmware upgrade from europe that cost $300 :(

2. André Cousin

André Cousin New Member

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi has any one done this 300 euros upgrade that can comment on the results
    thanks

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

There is nothing wrong with the current Radians... unfortunately the servos they drive just can't compete with brushless systems and until the Carvec brushless controller comes out the $300 upgrade isn't worth much.
    I am interested in the upgrade but only when the brushless module is out.

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Brad so I understand, this brushless controller module (when it comes out) uses together the radiant unit to work or not necessarily ?
    The thing that caught my attention is that the radian upgrade claims to use 1 radiant to control 3 axis, and that this upgrade improves the radian way more than what we have now, I am assuming that they are talking about radiant + servo motors
    I hope that someone that actually has done that upgrade can testify to this or some of it

Devin Card likes this.
  6. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya as far as I understand yes it will use one of the Radian ( not Radiant ) unit to control the brushless driver for 3 axis. You still will need to buy your brushless motors etc.

We will how expensive this brushless module will be... as it is now, anyone can run big payloads with alexmos and the 8017 motors for a cost of about $250 for the controller it self. Not sure some large ticket price will be justified but lets see what they do for this module.
    Nice to have options now :)

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Yes hopefully, its a shame that a year ago the Radian where hot item now several users are dumping them at a low price what surprises me is that... well I should not be surprise I think I can read between the lines, that someone other than FF came out with a software $$ upgrade to improve on the Radian, I wonder what the real story is

8. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Anybody end up ordering the G-lock upgrade....very curious to hear how it works.
    Devin

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I'm curious to see footage.

10. Gary Shainberg

Gary Shainberg New Member

Guys,

I have been in a long dialogue with John Cunningham who is the owner / developer of the G-Lock and original Radian firmware and unfortunately is not a member of this forum, however, what I can tell you is that you only need one Radian to do all three axis, the new Brushless Controller (BLD) is also now available which controls 2 axis so if you want three axis you will need to purchase 2, but they do daisy chain using a technology called HSL which also talks to the Radian, there are some "gotcha's" if you want to use the follow me option you lose the port for your receiver unless you use the Spektrum Satellite (which has its own port) so in this case you will need to buy the Signal Master which then connects via HSL to the brushless controllers and the S-Bus receiver (BTW the new G-Lock software also support S-Bus 2 which means you can use the new R7008SB receivers from Futaba which are perfect for the 14SG transmitter).

There are some other great benefits in using the signal master with regards to redundancy and features but if you do NOT need the follow me feature you do NOT need the Signal Master to make the solution work.

For the record I have never met John, I do not work for him and I am not benefiting from talking about his products nor do I have, as yet, the firmware u/g or the BLD / SM. I am just looking for an alternative solution to the existing Radian's which appear to have exceptional old firmware.

I am also looking at the AlexMoss solution which whilst very popular is also is a pain to set-up and manage.

If you have any questions ping me and I'll try and answer or get an answer

-Gary

Here is a C&P from John's forum with the prices on: (If you have the Radian USB adaptor then you do not need to buy another one)

G-Lock 3-axis system upgrade (changes a single axis Radian into a 3-axis G-Lock)
Normal price: £300+VAT (£360) Introductory Price: £240+VAT (£288)

2-Axis Brushless Driver Module 
Normal Price: £140+VAT (£168) Introductory Price: £112+VAT (£134.40)

RC Signal Master Module
 Normal Price: £80+VAT (£96) Introductory Price: £64+VAT (£76.80)

USB Adapter
Normal Price: £16+VAT (£19.20) Introductory Price: £12.80+VAT (£15.36)

Devin Card likes this.
  11. Gary Shainberg

Gary Shainberg New Member

Update to my last post .....

Based on a question I asked John I have just had an email from him and he has done some work over the last few days and in the new G-Lock firmware upgrade (today) he has moved the HSL port used for FollowMe to port 2 on the Radian and therefore now leaves port 1 open for the S-Bus and PPM connection which means you do not need a Signal Master if you want to use "Follow Me" and S-Bus / PPM

-G

12. Katya Nelhams-Wright

H
    hi Howard.
    The video I posted of the Blackmagic cinema camera on that thread is all shot using the G-lock.
    Motors are 5208 180T on all axis, 4S batteries, Signal Master and also an RT Motion follow focus which Kris at RT Motion adapted so that it runs through the SM.

13. Howard Dapp

Thanks Kat, any post stabilization done? How is it working our for you? Would you mind performing a simple performance test since it seems you're one of the few that is using/testing g-loc?

Devin Card likes this.
  14. Jose Luis Ocejo

Any chance to see some flying footage I am asuming that this G-Lock/Radian system pretty much replaces the use of an alexmos board if so we still have the problem of the low torque on 5208 size of motors is this right?

Guys it is exiting to see new life in to the Radian that our investment did not die with the development of DD and the alexmos boards
    is there a well made video explaining the procedures, the cost, the options, the advantages of the G-Lock system I am sure John C can come in and show us how it all works

Devin Card and Steve Maller like this.
  15. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Howard.
    We stabilised 1 shot about 2% in FCP X and I reversed a couple of shots after the oak tree shot so that might have caused some aberrations but apart from that no post stabilisation needed in the footage. We have been testing for a month now and if you set everything up right you don't need to stabilise at all. I have not had the pleasure of flying with a MOVI but have used both Martinez board and Alexmos on my gimbal with 5D and BMPCC and it's not even comparable....wipes the floor so to speak. I am away now until 11th Jan so not able to fly but let me know what kind of test you would like and happy do it. PM me if you want to see some more footage and I can send you a link to some.
    Kat

16. Howard Dapp

I can't see how there is a huge difference from Alexmos and g-loc. when Alexmos is setup correctly you will achieve incredible results. Did John help you setup G-loc? Did you have any assistance from an Alexmos pro when setting up Alexmos? Either it works perfect or it doesn't and if it doesn't it's due to poor setup on the operator's part...plain and simple as that.

Can you perform a similar test like below? No post stabilization please and be sure to give full nick and roll stick deflection while the horizon and fixed frame mounted object is in the shot. Use your 5D and upload the .mov file. This is a challenging test for any system and proves its effectiveness when mounted on an airborne cameraship.

17. Howard Dapp

I rest my case...

Steve M produced some ok results on his first go with Alexmos. He received some good constructive criticism, went back, changed some things, gave it a 2nd try and below are the results at 70mm, no stabilization...awesome results. As I said, either it works perfect or it doesn't and if it doesn't it's due to poor setup on the operator's part...plain and simple as that.

Devin Card likes this.
  18. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Hello Katya,

Can you give some information why you think G-Lock is not even comparable with alexmoss boards. I see that people have good results with both contrrollers but not many people have experience with both. What makes G-Lock unique. I just discovered G-Lock and i have no experience with Alexmoss but i am about to build a brushless Cinestar like gimbal (for GH3) next to my Radian driven servo gimbal. The costs are very high (G-Lock upgrade and two BLD modules) when to compare with alexmoss. On the Carvec site there is not much information about the comparison with alexmoss.