/dist/images/branding/favicon

radian and graupner channels

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Steen Jensen, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi there

Newbie, so be nice.

I`m just bought a graupner mx20 with ppm receiver GR-16 for the radian.

I'm trying to map the various channels to sticks. But the channel input monitor isn't showing stick movements for the sticks.

When trying to setup the first radian (pan) the pan servo just rotate,

Graupner mx 20 settings
    Stick type is set to 2
    DSC Output is set to ppm16
    The graupner shows channel 2 is Pan - Tilt is 3 and Roll is 4

transmitter i binded to the GR-16

Where do I set the channel for different Radians? (Pan = channel 2 on my transmitter)
    in the Radian software ???

What am I missing ?

Best regards
    Bison

2. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

When running the Radian software, I can read/write in Stabiliser Configuration.
    But in Diagnostics, I have green Comms, But PPM chackbox is blank.
    Radian module is showing one green led.

regards Bison

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Bison,

Are you sure that you have the Pan Radian connected to the PPM output on the Graupner Receiver? For instand on my my GR-16 I have to plug the Pan Radian into channel 8 port.

Tabb

4. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Tabb - Got your mail and have the mx-20 set up to sumo12. The pan is in channel 8 on the GR-16.
    Almost got it working BUT
    My problem is now that
    Pan axis just rotates like crazy. if I put the stick in the opposite direction it takes a moment, then it goes crazy the other way.
    it ends up with, that all axes goes dead, and I have to do a on/off power.
    Also if I, touch the tilt stick very little but rapid on the transmitter, all axes goes bananas. Same goes for Pan stick.
    I seem to have a smooth tilt.

I`m gonna make a video in 10 min time so you can see the problem, and hopefully give some input on what to do..
    Regards Bison

5. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

You have to hang the multi rotor for pan axis! ;)

Will keep an eye out for the video

Tabb

6. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi again.

This is power on - mx-20 is off
    http://www.kameratest.dk/Radian_1.mp4

This is power on - mx-20 ON
    http://www.kameratest.dk/Radian_2.mp4
    First
    1.tilt and rool stabi is set to on - no slew - seems ok
    Second
    2.turning on stabi all axes and slew - things dont look so good.

Radian settings all standard from the Manual, exept from PAN.

Pan setting is 80% Gain

What can be wrong?

regards
    Bison

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi bison:

Looks like the pan gain is still too high. Drop it to 40% and see if that helps. If it does, start bringing back up.

Also verify that there is not excessive slack in the pan pulley -- can you move the big pulley without the motion being transmitted to the smaller pulley on the servo.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Bison,

Here is a video of the Radian setup 3x with Graupner:

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Great video there - Adam.

Do I have to chose SUMO or SUMO12 ? I have the mx-20 and GR-16.

My sticks is so sensitive in the middle - how do I sweeting it out in the middle and gradully run faster as I give more stick ?

Best regards
    Bison

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Bison,

Use SUMO for the sum out signal for the GR16. The deadband adjustment will "deaden" the response around the stick. The radian currently will not ramp as you give more stick.
    Greetings,
    Adam

11. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Thanks Adam I`ll try and change it to SUMO instead of SUMO12.

Is it possible to restrict tilt, for instance max 10degres up and max 90 degres down ?

best regards
    Bison

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Bison, to get a slower slew angle you can either reduce the ATV in your transmitter for the channel that controls the slew command or you can reduce the Slew Rate in the Radian software.

To soften the stick around center please add some exponential to your transmitter.

The tilt is limited right now to 10 degrees up and 110 degrees down - please note this is with respect to the Earth and not the airframe.

Best,

Tabb

13. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Tabb - Thanks for the info - Settings is getting better and better...

The restriction on tilt I´m thinking off, is when you have a camera operator, that by mistake gives full tilt (too much), then he might break something, when the camera cant spin all the way - Sony 760,Canon G10 and larger...

Best regards
    Bison

14. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Bison,

Great!

Right now the camera will not be able to go past 10 degrees up and 110 degrees down....try it on yours and you will see ;)

15. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Damm youre right Tab - GREAT !

regards
    Bison

16. Philip Ellerbroek

I am in a similar position but having other problems.

Currently:
    Did not update firmware since receiving Radians - have NOT moved to 1.02
    Using mx-12 and gr-16 for camer (MX20 for pilot)
    Running 5.1 BEC power to gr-16
    Daisy chain from GR-16 port 6 into Radian Pan port 1
    MX-12 on Sumo6
    Connected USB cable and the supplied 3/2 servo cable (double checked that it was connected correctly after watching Tabbs boot video)
    Followed the online picture for connecting all via PPM
    Downloaded all software and drivers
    Using windows 7
    MX-12 IS powered
    MX-12 IS banded to GR-12 with solid green light
    Plugged in the USB cable into computer and got a BING BONG
    The Radian serial connector "chip" has green and orange light
    Opened up computer control panel and I'd radian was reading on comm 4
    Checked radian software comm panel and it was on comm10, moved it to comm 4

THEN..... Could not get the Radian software to communicate with the radian. I clicked on connect but it just timed out. After unplugging 5.1 power, unplugging usb, double checking drivers, pulling servo lines, pulling daisy, messing with the 3/2cable supplied, looking for shorts, computer restarts, making sure all cables are firmly connected to the radians...

After 45 minutes of this, I remember pulling the daisy chain our of Pan Radian and plugging in, powering off, and trying the comm4 connect one more time and it turned green on the software and then i followed the rest of the setup calibration instructions including reading, then reading/writing each radian according to the instruction settings, making sure to move the 3/2 cable to the 5&6 pins for each respective radian. After than, everything was calibrated except the pan b/c it was sitting on the table. I moved that to a hanging position later on and somewhat calibrated, but I had to come back to lower the gain (as was suggested to Bison above by Tabb).

Now two days later, the radians aren't responding to stick inputs and when the transmitter switch is moved to the two operational (unlocked) settings the radians just blink. I've unplugged the power several times. Since they were behaving the same way as they did prior to being connected to the software, I figured had to go back and try to read/write the settings again.

Now, I'm back to the issue where I can't get the radians to connect to the software via the usb even after checking the cable and comm ports again. It almost acts like there is a short in the supplied 3/2 serial cable? I tried a 2nd usb cable as well to make sure there is no short in the usb cable. Also, I tried the two other radians and it won't connect to any of them, so it isn't a bad radian pin jack.

Help?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Phil:
    It sounds like you might also be fighting a Windows COM port problem.
    There's a web page here that tells you how to preset the COM port to 10, so that might sort that problem and/or save you the hassle of having to set to COM 4 every time.

With the caveat that I'm running Win 7 on a 17" Mac Book Pro using Boot Camp, I've found that the connection between Win 7 and the Radians is "fragile" at best -- often necessitating a restart of Win 7 with the 3/2 cable already plugged into the Radian that I want the software to talk to. I don't know why this occurs -- MK Tool seems to have no problem establishing contact with the FC, NC or Smart OSD board even if I plug the MK USB (or in the case of the Smart OSD, the USB cable directly) into the FC/NC/SOSD boards after Win7 is up and running.

I also had once instance where the FTDI Virtual COM Port drivers just "evaporated" and I had to re-install them. That might be worth a try -- it doesn't do any harm to re-install them if they're already installed (the action is what computer and math geeks call "idempotent" -- so there's a word for you to try out on your buddies... :) )

You mention that the Radians "just blink" but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. On the last but one page of the Radian documentation there's a list of the various LED combinations and blink/steady states. Does that help any? If not, can you identify which LED(s) is blinking and whether it's a slow or fast blink?

Thanks
    Andy.

18. Greg Chivers

Greg Chivers New Member

Hi Folks,

I am setting up radians and having a similiar trouble to Bison above where I can not see the channels responding on the input channel monitor.
    I have 5 volts powering a GR16 receiver and a MX20 radio. Radio set at sumo12 in data and settings menu.
    I am using port 8 out of the GR16 for PPm signal and going into port 1 on the radians. I can see the Green light for connection in the radian software and can see the angle move on the tilt radian in the config window. I appear to be able to read and write to the Radians.
    The receiver is bound to the radio.

However I can not get the radio to talk to the radians and as mentioned above can not see the channels respond in the input channel monitor.

Can somebody offer some advice please. I imagine I am missing something obvious, at least I hope it is that simple.

Thanks in advance for any help

Greg

19. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Greg what channel are you using the MX20? That channel number needs to be entered into the Skew channel box.

20. Greg Chivers

Greg Chivers New Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not quite sure what I changed but it all seems to be working nicely now.

Thanks greg