/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Robin Charters

Robin Charters New Member

Thanks for these dimensions. So it appears that this cutout will not fit inside any pelican case specifically. Even a 1650 case, which has more than enough width, wont fit the foam cutout height. With a custom insert, it may not even fit the actual dimension of the rig, with the case at 28.57" x 17.52" x 10.65". It might squeeze in, but offer hardly any protection on that side.

It looks like the 1630 or the 1640 will be the case size to spec out from them. Too bad it doesn't look like it will fit into a 1510!

At least the 1630 or 1640 should allow plenty of space for a second layer with pockets for monitors, and support hardware. extra bats, charger, etc.

I suppose the next question is, what are the actual dimensions of the rig itself (HxW)?

Cheers,
    Robin

2. Robin Charters

Also, what is the ID dimension for the handles?

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Are you certain the V-mount set-up won't work?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Robin the tube ID is ~23.24mm

5. Carey Lee Coffey

Can someone confirm that the V-mount set-up will not work on the MōVI? I could be wrong, but t looks to me like there is enough clearance for the Epic with the V-mount battery.

6. Carey Lee Coffey

I found the solution: AB batteries instead of V-Mount

20111128-120822.jpg

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Carey before you pull the trigger compare the cost of the AB battery vs a small LIPO similar to what is being used to power the MōVI. A Limo plug adapter is available from www.quadrocopter.com. Strap the battery to the MōVI frame. Battery will last longer, recharge faster with a good charger and weight on the actual gimbal will be less.

Part is here http://www.quadrocopter.com/DC-Power-Cable-for-RED_p_857.html

8. Brandon Loeser

9. Phil Macdonald

According to the blurb on that part it will last 30 mins with a 4S Lipo....can you strap a 6S for a longer duration, is that how that would work? if not the brick battery will definitely last longer but I totally agree on the weight benefits :)

10. Brandon Loeser

6S is too much voltage. 4S is the correct one for the RED. You'll use a different size mAh. We've used a 2650mAh battery and you'll have enough time. If you start getting a bigger battery, mAh wise, you'll be increasing your weight and increasing your charge time. And the smaller one cost less. Hope that makes sense.

11. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Phil,

Please refer to your operation manual as it appears the Epic input voltage range is from 11.5-17V. A fully charged 4S lipo sits at 16.8V.

Greetings,
    Adam

12. Carey Lee Coffey

Sounds like a good low-cost option, but I have two immediate concerns:

1. How do you power a wireless Follow Focus? Don't you need a D-tap or some other port?

2. The LEMO cable is very stiff, so if the battery is on the frame, won't we encounter the same problem as with the Red Touch LCD? Don't we need to have the battery attached to the camera so that it can balance perfectly?

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Carey, the wiring doesn't have to be stiff. Outside the plug, use something more flexible. We were mounting to the vertical down tube at NAB and since.

14. Carey Lee Coffey

I see that there are wires coming off the frame and connecting to where the camera sits like how the Fingerwheel has a line attached to the base station for the FF.

I still would love to know how people are powering their wireless FF units.

15. Lliam Worthington

Ok, so no room for V mounts at the back.

If you already have a bunch of Redvolts, and the rig has been widened to fit the side handle on a RED, and the run time for the 4S is 30 mins - so about the same as an RV... apart from a couple hundred grams and that I imagine they charge a lot quicker than RV's... is there any benefit to going the Lipo route and spending on the cable?

Regarding RED Touch LCD:

I've got a quote coming for a custom cable that will hopefully have the flexibility to allow the RED touch to work. I'm thinking 32 inches, right to right. But I'm just basing my estimates off of MOVI + RED pictures and my Scarlets measurements. Adam or anyone from FF who could confirm that would be a decent length to give enough play without creating extra unwanted cable wrangling would be greatly appreciated. I will update when I have a figure for others who may be interested.

Re FF powering Carey. Me too. I was hoping to use the P taps off my Vmount plate, but have now emailed Rredrockmicro asking for their powering advice. Will update when I hear back.

16. Robin Charters

Im making a custom power solution, but Switronix also makes a power distribution box that is cheaper than the red rock solution.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

For comparison of a LiPo to a RedVolt. A Zippy 4s LiPo (14.7v) costs about $16 for a 3000mah battery. The RedVolt is 37Wh and at 12v would be about 3000mah and change, not sure what the real power pull is and other specs don't appear on the Red page. Physically the battery is only 313grams and 139x46x25mm in size.

18. Lliam Worthington

Thanks Gary.

Carey, good news, I heard back from redrockmicro, they advised:
    "For the MoVi that uses LiPo batteries, MoVi is going to produce a cable to power the remote."

Best

Lliam

19. Christopher Barrett

Or perhaps this new hotness, Carey... Also, as for the Touchscreen, my older Red One monitor cables are not the woven cloth variety, are much more flexible and work perfectly with the touchscreen on my Epic.

CB

Attached Files:

20. Carey Lee Coffey

Wow! Chris, I haven't seen that battery option. I will have to look into it now...