/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question on adding another radian to pitch axis

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Michael Massar, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Michael Massar

Michael Massar New Member

Currently have a radian on the roll and got it working really well. Now thinking about adding another one to the pitch axis. I have a 2 axis cinestar gimbal and its setup for a single operator. Right now I have separate stabilization unit fo the pitch and I have the signal wire only going up to the reciever on AUX 3 which is a knob on the DX8. Can I get the radian to work the same way as I have it now. Iam using a AR8000 with the DX8.
    Thanks in advance.

Michael

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You don't need a separate signal wire to the tilt mechanism, Michael.
    Just connect the roll Radian Port 3 to the tilt Radian port 1. They talk S.bus amongst themselves. :)
    See the wiring diagram for Spektrum on the page before Step 2 in the Radian documentation (counting from the front it's page 10).

Andy.

3. Michael Massar

Hello Andy,
    Just to make sure Iam explaining it right Iam only running the one receiver for the Hexa and gimbal its not two man setup. The wiringin the manual if a understand it is for a separate reciever as for a two man operation. All I need is control of the tilt for the camera so I can frame whats needed. If Iam missing something please explain it for. I appreciate your help and and the Cinestar line is the best out as far as Iam concerned.

Michael64

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Michael:
    Perhaps I am not understanding your problem.

I understand that you have an AR8000, and you want to drive both a roll and tilt Radian sensor from it.
    Can you confirm whether the AR8000 outputs only PWM signals and not PPM? I got a servo error so when I did a Google search and then tried to download the manual so I could not see the specifications for the AR8000.

If it only outputs PWM then you will have to wire it up as shown for the PWM example in the documentation. It if can output a PPM (with the signals for multiple servos on a single servo cable) then you can wire it up as shown for the PPM in the documentation on page 9.

Andy.

5. Michael Massar

Not sure about the output, but will check that out. One more thing is on the Cinestar gimbal what is the setting for the deadband. I have a little jitter every so often I have my gain set to 124 should I back off to maybe 121 and give that a try. It is very minor but still there if you look real close its quick than gone.

6. Michael Massar

Also in the wiring diagram way the two wires to receiver is one powering and the control is it possible to just power the radian from the other radian and than run a servo lead up to Aux 3 to control pitch, or maybe Iam trying to do somthing the radian can not do. I hope this is not the case because I am sure other single operators or dong what Iam doing with just controlling the pitch.

Michael

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael, from the Radian manual.

DEADBAND
    The deadband setting adjusts how much stick travel is required before the stick demand creates a slew command. This setting can be useful if the transmitter gimbal does not center repeatably. Its function is to prevent unwanted axis drift. The default setting is 5%, but feel free to adjust as needed to suit your needs.

So if you have a worn out spring on your transmitter and instead of being at 0 (assuming it is the tilt servo) and instead has enough slippage that it varies from -4 to +4 (pretty wobbly) then the deadband setting would say, hey not a problem. If the deadband was set to 0 then the tilt would be swinging up and down. So Deadband makes sense for tilt and pan but isn't typically used for roll. At least I haven't head of anyone manually adjust their role with an input channel.

8. Michael Massar

So what is the answer to get the radian connected with single person and only the flight reciever to have control of the tilt is this possible. I want to find out before I order one. Can I just run a signal wire from the radian to the receiver Aux 3 and have control of pitch this is the question. I will be using a BEC for the radians power like I do now with the roll radian.

Michael

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Michael,

Sure you can setup the radian in this way. The only thing you would need to change is that your tilt control would be assigned to a 3 pos switch instead of the rotary knob on the transmitter. This way when the switch was centered the radian would hold position, when up it would tilt up, and when in the down position would cause the camera to tilt down.

The Radian commands a slew rate, not an absolute position which is why the 3 pos switch works better as it is hard to accurately center the dial.

Tabb

10. Michael Massar

Hello Tabb
    So I cannot connect it to the AUX 3 knob, I like to have the knob so when looking at the monitor I can adjust the pitch for what I want. Do you mean by putting on the switch it would be easier for someone without a monitor.

Michael