/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question about M5 Configurator

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chris Lombardo, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Chris Lombardo

Chris Lombardo New Member

Hi all,

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so configuring the M5 has been quite a challenge. Balancing was a cakewalk, but I've run into a few issues with the software. If anyone could help clear the fog for me, it would be much appreciated.

First, nowhere in the instructions & tutorials (that I could find anyway) does it say to download an app prior to the bluetooth pairing. It appeared that I simply paired it, and a GUI would magically appear. I figured the GUI was embedded in the firmware and transmitted via the Bluetooth connection. At first I tried and failed with my Mac laptop, but I'm not running Mavericks so I assumed that might be a prerequisite. Rather than deal with Mavericks though, I decided to just get a Nexus 7, same one used in those great (and I mean that) video tutorials. Still no dice, until I finally noticed the Android Configurator on the Freefly homepage, and downloaded it to the Nexus.

I kept getting a "can't open file" message until I upgraded the Android OS (to Jelly Bean I assume). Then it finally worked. But unlike the instructions and video tutorials, I was never asked for a password, only to confirm that the device was displaying a certain number code, which I had no way to check (that I know of) so I simply clicked OK. I haven't attempted to edit any of the parameters in the Configurator yet, but it appears to be running fine, with the charts animating while I swing the Movi. So with that said, here are my questions please:
    • Should I be concerned that I was never asked for a password to pair the M5?
    • Should I run the option in the Configurator to update the firmware?
    • Although I took the long way with lots of extra turns, am I on the right path, or am I making mistakes I don't even realize?
    Thanks very much for the help.

-Chris

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't worry about the password.
    IF you gust got your M5 you have the latest firmware.
    You are on the right path. You have the M5 balanced with your setup and it time to adjust the gains following the guidance in the videos and then go out and make great videos.

3. Chris Lombardo

Thanks Gary! I've actually had the M5 for a couple months, never had time for it until now, think the firmware is still current enough?

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes no change since the M5 came out. Think you should be on 3.07. You can check by clicking on the Freefly Logo in the configurator.

5. Chris Lombardo

Thanks very much for the help Gary. When I click the Freefly logo, it just gives me the app version (1.521), which is probably different from the firmware version...

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Look down through the listing once you are connected. You should see Software Rev Major: and Minor: Those are the Firmware numbers.

7. Chris Lombardo

Doh!!! I didn't realize the splash screen was scrollable. Yes the major is 3 and minor is 7, just as you said. Thanks a ton for all your help.