/dist/images/branding/favicon

QC posted their first flight with the MōVI

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Steve Maller, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Appears to be a 5D Mark III with 24 IS lens on board a heavy lifter. Would love to hear what the specifics are of this copter. But the footage looks awesome.

2. Carey Lee Coffey

Mind officially blown.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

You need to download the file and play it to see how smooth it really is. If you don't download the file it will look like the pan isn't smooth or has a combination of shutter/pan issues. Very nice.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And with a nice ground breeze going on, notice the bushes.

5. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Looks great!
    I am noticing the dreaded horizon drift that is prevalent with the other brushless options out there. Hopefully its just a tuning issue with the Movi.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've wondered about the horizon drift.

Is it an artifact of physics that, when you're accelerating sideways, it alters the Earth's gravity vector so that it is no longer straight down? (I seem to recall that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable.)

Can it be compensated for basic on horizontal acceleration -- and why doesn't it seem to affect tilt when you nick forward or back?

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad could you point out where you see horizon drift? Timeline reference. Not sure that I understand the term.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've heard the term to mean the roll axis drifting away from level. It appears to happen at 0:53 as the camera pans left. I'm using the far edge of the right hand shed and the road that runs left-right beyond the sheds. They seem to traverse down the right hand edge of the frame.

I shouldn't refer to them as just "sheds." They are more properly called "the area where Andy impressed Casey with his ineptitude at flying copters." It is an area that, every time I see, the palms of my hands start to sweat....

Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I see that but attribute it to the pan, tile, copter descending and perspective changing all combined. Brad what say you?

10. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya pretty much is what I am talking about. I know because the project we are working on is trying to deal with just this and it is difficult to solve from a accelerometer and gyro position in our hardware and software. Just wasn't sure if Tabb and the team completely solved it. Again, maybe it is just a tuning issue here.

You can definitely shoot around it and at times it isn't as much of an issue but I recall with Radians they seemed a lot less affected by the Pan movement causing roll drift.
    Or maybe its just the next thing to pick at because the footage is so darn smooth now :D

Aside from the 4th axis ;)