/dist/images/branding/favicon

QC Motor Bearing Video

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ben Freedman, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Hey, Kyle...

Seems like you may have an issue there, but it's probably best if you start a thread about it. This thread is about motor bearings, so you may not get as much response as if you start a thread on odd startup sequences..

Also, if I may suggest, holding your phone horizontally would likely offer us a much better view of what you're filming...

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben you had to much vino today. That was hilarious.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kyle: Don't worry -- the sequence is determined by the the BL-Controls and all of them work autonomously, so there's no fixed sequence to them. Sometimes the sequence will change for no apparent reason. The time to worry is when there are red LEDs illuminated on the lower surface of the BL-Ctrls.

The vibration could be props out of balance, bearings bad, or possibly even clamps that are not tight enough. Certainly all three can conspire to produce what you're seeing. For safety's sake, remove the props and try that motor test again. If the prop shafts appear oval still, then it's not the props (and your puppy will live to pee on the carpet another day).

Andy.

4. Kyle Meyerrose

Kyle Meyerrose New Member

i will try that andy thanks :)

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The more I've thought about it, Kyle, I'm concerned that you may have not realized how dangerous a thing it was you did to fire up the motors and throttle up with the propellers on.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point this out, but those props can sever an artery so fast that you would not know it had happened until you saw the blood on the far wall.

Just as a favor to me, please do NOT power up the motors with the props on indoors and without appropriate restraints on the copter -- it appeared you were having to hold it down and with one hand, and operate the camera and transmitter with the other.

I'm just concerned for your safety -- well, OK, I have a weakness for puppies too.

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I can be soooo understated at times that I leave out the word "not." Sigh. I've edited the posting.
    But, joking apart, please treat those props as lethal weapons.

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kyle one of the best investments I've made has been the Hitachi Drill Driver. Easy to get the props on and off quickly and testing much safer. It's listed over on the Tip and Tricks tools section.

Nice wood boat video over on your website.

8. Kyle Meyerrose

Kyle Meyerrose New Member

thanks andy and gary Yes i know all too well about the props this summer i lost the tendon to my pinky finger all good the DOCs fixed me up tho. Iam stubborn tho next time i will be safe promise.
    The puppies thank you
    puppies.jpg :)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

See! I really am a sucker for a puppy.
    Stay safe Kyle! Those props are scalpels in disguise. Sadly, it sounds like you already learned that. Sorry to hear about your incident.
    It really is up to us as the "early adopters" to learn how to keep ourselves and the innocent bystanders safe. It's a bit scary to think that perhaps 50 to 100 years from now these messages, images and video will still be available to the later generations of copter pilots and they'll look back at us like we look at the pilots of the Wright Flyers, and other early aircraft with amazement at what you all do.

And they'll ask look at us and ask: "Why did they fly with exposed electronics?" "How come they were using RC hobbyists transmitters?" and "Why did this guy Andy never learn how to avoid trees and fly like that guy Jeff?"

But I really wouldn't want them to read this forum on The Wayback Machine (see archive.org) and say, "Jeez, it was so sad what happened to that puppy...." :)

Andy.

10. Sean McDonald

Sean McDonald New Member

Yes me too. I just purchased 8 of the QC motors last December. I have now had say maybe 20 flights max... and have at least 1 or 2 bad motors bearings... actually really got bad today... I wish manufacturers would do quality control and install better bearings from the start... The QC motors are not exactly cheap.. I have actually had much better luck with the el cheapo HKing motors.

Today I flew only three flights.... new batteries (< 4 cycles) and in addition to the worse sounding motors my Octo yaw control was way worse than yesterday's fights when I first thought I was having bearings going... No changes in Octo or camera setup. Not even had any trees or ground coming to meet the props yet...

It is not good at all. I have six more QC motors in boxes.....I guess I know why I purchased spares. Bearing used are definitely consumables... but I thought I would get more than 20 flights or so. I guess I'll be ordering from Boca bearings after all... I had in fact planned to replace bearings before I installed the motors when they were new... guess I should have.

Andy,
    Thanks for the link to Amazon for clips.
    Are there any spacing washers required that should be replaced for vertical movement in addition to the clips (think I saw another post on that somewhere) ? If so, any web links (amazon) for required part?

Thanks.
    Sean

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Here's part numbers from McMaster.com. 1 pack will have 100.

Clips - 98541A112
    Washers - 98032A436

Always replace the washer when you put in the new bearings.

12. Sean McDonald

Sean McDonald New Member

Thanks Gary.

Sean

13. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Is there any documentation out there showing how to replace the bearings?

14. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Dave, an instructional video...

15. Sean McDonald

Sean McDonald New Member

Gary,
    I went onto to McMaster site. Placed order last night and today received this email:

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders."

What export regulations on washers and clips, shipping to me in Vancouver?
    I have never received any such response to any web orders... I have never ordered from McMaster before... I don't intend to.
    I can order clips on Amazon and will look for alternative sources for the washers.

Sean

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I have seen the same thing for folks in Europe. But usually you can find the equivalent of McMaster in your local country. Sounds like they just don't want the hassel. Order the bearing install kit from Bart and you get 20 clips and washers. That should hold you for awhile and the kit is essential to doing the install without damaging the new bearings.

17. Sean McDonald

Sean McDonald New Member

OK. Thanks Gary.
    I have ordered the install kit this evening from Bart. It sure looks like it makes the changing of the bearings much easier with less chance of damaging the new bearing in the process.
    Sean

18. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

19. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

The bearings used on QC, Tiger or Avroto motors are EZO brand. Initially they are very smooth but they are very fragile. When the prop is on, and if the prop is bented by your hand accidentaly, the bearing can get bad. So it's very important to carry these motors carefully if the prop is on.

If you have the right tools, you can change the bearings on the field in 15 minutes.

Boca bearings are expensive but stock Ezo bearings are cheap. So, if you have a Octo, put 8 sets of bearings to your toolbox. You will need them anyways.

Boca bearings are more durable but far more expensive.

20. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor