/dist/images/branding/favicon

QC Motor Bearing Video

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ben Freedman, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Howdy...

So, at the request of others, here's a short video of my new CS8 with the QC motors. I think I recorded 4 or 5 short clips of each motor. The first sounds the best of the bunch, but the others sound quite bad...

Question: In your opinion, does this sound like bad bearings? Or some other issue?

Thanks for weighing in...

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Ben, this may seem silly, but is it possible that something on or in the boom(s) could be causing the noise? It's interesting that the motor with the landing gear attached sounds so different. I would just make sure you're not hearing the motor wires or something else oscillating. But there's clearly something going on.

Oh, and nice PVC frame. :)

3. Pavlos Antoniou

Can you turn with your hand with prop ON as on my video... We will undestand easier if the problem is the bearings

4. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

I can, but not for about a week or so. I'm on location in California next week, so I'm away from the heli.

Would love other opinions, tho...

Best,

Ben

5. Kyle Meyerrose

Kyle Meyerrose New Member

Ben we are working on the same problem as we speak, we have horrible vibration in the fpv camera and in the gimbal one of your worst motors sounds like one of my worst i have 5-8 i beleave are bad i will make a video in a few mins and get it up for you to see aswell i think where in the same boat BAD BEARINGS :(

6. Pavlos Antoniou

Kyle do it by hand with prop on..

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben yes 3 and 6 may be bad bearings. I would get the bearing kit from Bart so that you have some of the clips/washers then do these steps. And order a couple of sets of bearings from Boca.

1. Talk with the folks at QC to get their opinion.
    2. Based on that conversation then perhaps
    3. Remove the motors from the boom.
    4. Carefully remove the e-clip from the bottom shaft. Try not to push on the bearing. I typically use a jeweler screw driver to bend up one end of the clip so that I can grab it and twist it off with a pair of small wire cutters.
    5. Pull the top bell housing off. That magnets will try to stop it. Try to pull it straight off.
    6. Look at the bearings with a magnifier to see if you see any damage or dirt.
    7. Check the windings for dirt or scratches on the metal plates.
    8. Check the inside of the bell to make sure a magnet isn't loose.

If you decide to change the bearings then follow Bart's video. On re-assembly hold onto the bell as you guide the shaft in the lower housing so that you don't hit the bottom bearing and knock it out.

Takes longer to write this than do the task. Again I would start with QC. The sounds you hear on those motors sure don't sound normal. The others sound normal.

8. Kyle Meyerrose

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

#3 definitely sounds bad. Do the motors feel hot after you run them? I think you would definitely have more surface heat on motors with bad bearings. Are you having any excessive BL temps or currents? Any vibration problems?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I have Genelec digital near-field monitors on the machine where I do video editing and email. I forgot to turn them down from -35 dB to -42 dB. Motor #3 caused some fillings to vibrate loose.... Ouch. That sounds awful.

Definitely time to talk to QC. I suspect you'll be talking to Boca bearings too.

If you need a bulk source of motor clips: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062OEFNQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
    100 for $5.62.

Andy.

11. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Thanks Andy... Yes, I may need to buy some bocas, but really, these motors are just 3-4 weeks old! Maybe 5 flights! I mean, I don't understand why everyone is saying the QC motors are good quality, but I have 4 or 5 that sound bad! After 5 flights!

I mean, should I really have to be buying something new for them at this point?

Best,

Ben

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I take your point, Ben. As Gary says, that's definitely something that you need to take up with QC.

Andy.

13. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Will call them Monday...

Best,

Ben

14. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Ben

I have had 30 minutes of run time and I believe I have one bad motor too. I feel your pain.

15. Kyle Meyerrose

My video is uploading now
    ANDY: nice to see you again remember that vibration thread ? well its still making me crazy but ive investigated alot and I think im on it now please check my vidoe loading up in a few mins thanks. :)

I have had these motors since april of 2012 alot of dusty landings, there not a bad motor but there always a bad bunch ya know QC I would say most certin will make good on them things have switched up in there return DEP. and is much beter.

16. Kyle Meyerrose

heres my video i have another loading too in a few mins

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Kyle: those motors sound pretty good -- but it's quite hard to hear. As far as I'm aware, any motor bearing that has "run out" (that lateral/vertical play) is suspect. The best thing would be to swap out the bearings on the worst motor and then re-assess whether it makes sense to swap the others out.

Andy.

18. Kyle Meyerrose

cool thanks andy most are good except that motor 7
    I have one more video coming up in a min

19. Pavlos Antoniou

The motors seems ok to me too.. If you have. An iphone do a test with the vibration app...

Also about the click it wont do aa big difference.. I was flying and my motors were clicking alls...!!

20. Kyle Meyerrose

heres the second video