/dist/images/branding/favicon

Purchase advice from MoVi Pro Users

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Jonathan Mayfield, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan Mayfield

Jonathan Mayfield New Member

Hey guys, I need a little real world advice on whether or not to make the jump form the M5 up to the Pro. I run an Fs5 on the M5 currently. I do mostly freelance commercial sports work so there is always running involved.

I can balance the Fs5 with no counterweights as long as I keep a smaller prime on the the camera, but I do feel as though it's probably under powered overall. If the balance is even a little off, specifically in the tilt motors I get vibration even with the motor power brought way down.

I've been on the fence, but edging closer towards the Pro. I don't want to spend $7k if it's not going to show real world benefit, so I'm hoping to get some input from some of you who have used both. Thanks ahead of time

2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

if ur clients are not complaining, and you are happy with income, stay happy.

Otherwise, movi pro is a good buy in my book. but i had complaining clients and wanted more income :rolleyes:

3. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Its a great tool, you just need to make sure you need the tool.. If what your using works, keep at it.. If you can afford and make a larger rig pay off for you (new batteries, etc...) then DO IT! It's such a pleasure with the integration of everything...

4. Jonathan Mayfield

That's good advice. I haven't had clients complain about footage, but there are times when I feel limited because there is only so much I can do setup wise. I'm able to mount the remote handle of the Fs5 onto the top bar of the m5 which is great because I have full camera control and can pull focus from that (I'd probably go with the classic handle on the Pro for this reason) and I work alone a lot so I don't have dedicated focus pullers. But there are situations where it would be amazing to mount FIZ controls and have it all operate remotely. I definitely can't fit all of that on the m5.

Thanks for the advice!

5. Jonathan Mayfield

Yea that's what I'm trying to judge. I haven't had my hands on a pro yet so I'm hoping someone can chime in and say "I was in the same boat and it changed my life" or "I was in the same boat and nothing REALLY changed". haha

6. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

If you make money with your gear and can afford to buy the MoVI Pro there is no question you should get one.. Ive had all the MoVI's and am so pleased with the way the MoVI pro has answered all of the problems of previous models.. If you want more power, more flexibility, and just an overall easier workflow its the right decision.. BUT on the other hand, my M15 is still lighter and functions (to me) almost just as well as the MoVI PRO...... I like other features that make my life easier with the movi pro (hot swapping batteries, built in DTAPs, neat cabling...)

7. Jonathan Mayfield

Well said, thanks a ton!

8. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

theres also new stuff coming out very shortly you may want to hold out until after NAB

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

No worries.

If you charge hourly, might be tough. Gotta make sure people will pay for your efficiency. If by the job, then maybe more of a good investment.

10. Jake Wilganowski

It's way more user friendly and quick