/dist/images/branding/favicon

Propeller testing results

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I wanted to share my results I did with my propeller testing that I have done over the past couple days. I have used the APC 14.4.7 slo fly props, the Xoar Beechwood 14X5 props, and the Aerobot 13X6.5 carbon fiber props. I did one batch of tests on Sunday but I did them as smaller tests. I did tests on Monday where I ran complete flights on the batteries.

Background info
    Cinestar 8 with stock QC-3328 motors
    3 axis gimbal with Sony PJ760 camera
    2 QC6200 batteries with modified battery plate - See seperate post
    The copter has been gone over completely from top to bottom for balance and CG. MK tools shows a perfect center balance from a 12 foot hover.
    Total flying weight is 11.8 pounds

I made all the tests on the same day, and made 2 flights with each type of prop. I tested in a local park in AH and PH and just moving around in a circle at 3 mph. I ended each flight around 14.5 volts and tried to keep it as consistent as possible.
    APC 14X4.7 slo fly results -AVG flying time 11:45, flights are stable and smooth. These props are balanced using light sanding.
    Xoar Beechwood 14X5 results - AVG flying time 12:30, AVG BL temp is about 3-7 degrees lower, the hottest BL temp was on average 5 degrees lower. I noticed a definete difference in sound, and tone. No louder or quieter in my opinion. Flights were stable and smooth but I noticed that response was a bit faster like it was almost too fast. I balanced these props using 3M clear tape that is very sticky.
    Aerobot 13X6.5 results - AVG flying time 10:40 with one flight at 10:25. AVG BL temp was almost identical to the APC props. I noticed that it took more gas to get it up in the air and hovering. Flights were smooth. I don't really know how to describe the response all I can say is that it was different. In fairness I did not balance these props, and upon checking they seemed to be off but I didn't know how to balance them. I will make more tests soon.

Footage from all tests looked identical. I saw you extra vibration in the picture going to the wood props.

Steve Maller likes this.
  2. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Thanks Dave, very helpful. There are some 13 x 6.5 props on deal extreme dx.com that are identical to aerobot props for far less...

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave good info. One piece of data you may want to capture is the throttle setting in hover as shown on the Graupner screen or MK data file. Range is 0-255 as you know. Good simple comparison. Pretty repeatable with the number of variables flying outside may be a better indication of prop changes.

On the Aerobots perhaps balance them with tape the same way you did the Xoar's.

4. Dave King

HI Gary

Thanks, I wasn't hovering with the tests so I should clarify. I was in PH and AH mode but I was moving around in a circle at the park. It would be interesting to see what the throttle range is in my flights. The only time I hover in a still position so far (I haven't taken any stills yet) is when I'm checking balance in 3D.

5. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

You can sand the aerobot props to balance them.

6. Dave King

Gary I had time today to test the props back to back again. the APC 14.44 props had a hover gas of 460 and the Xoar Beechwood 14X5 props had a hover gas of 565. How does this translate into efficiency? It was dead air today absolutely no wind and I could tell the difference with the Xoar with prop wash. The Xoar's had tons more prop wash.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave what were your throttle values?

8. Dave King

I didn't log them I thought it was hover gas that was the setting needed to be logged. How do the throttle values affect the efficiency? Higher the number the more efficient?

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Lower throttle for the same weight would be more efficient. Sorry not familiar with hover gas value. I would assume lower would be better. How did your flight time and battery consumption compare?

10. Dave King

I saw about 30 seconds of flight time more with the XOAR blades than the APC blades. I would say flight time is very close.

11. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Did you happen to test the Aerobot props again?

12. Dave King

No I lost 3 of the prop spacers!! Those ones aren't like the APC that will stay in the prop. I don't think you can buy them seperately.

13. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Hmmm, I know each prop came with three but don't remember if they are different sizes. I will check.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave I am confused. From your first email you said hovergas was higher for the Xoars which would indicate that you needed more power. Then you say that you got 30 seconds more flight time with the Xoars on the same battery setup followed by the flight times were very close. Hard to draw any conclusions based on the data provided.