/dist/images/branding/favicon

Prop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alex Fuller, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I have been using Xoar 14x6 props on my CS8 with QC 3328 motors + 450mm booms with great results, however I cannot find any more pairs of Xoar 14x6 props in stock in the US, and I need to have back ups for a trip ASAP. I have the APC props but want something more rigid.

Any suggestions on decent priced props (carbon or wood) that will work? Ive seen T-Motor but worried the three hole pattern will be an issue with my motors. Any recommendations would be great, thank you!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Janne Hoglund likes this.
  3. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Thanks for the tip Steve! I ended up going with the RV Props from Range Video, 15 bucks a pair and shipped from USA, they even threw in an extra set for free, not too shabby! Going to be using these prop adapters for my QC motors which provide a bit of grip since I will not be mounting them via the 3 hole system: http://www.amain.com/product_info.p...jkUYn8rJWpRBfTYt1qGvl0DwKc5i0LOO3QaAo_J8P8HAQ

Hopefully it all works smoothly!

4. Steve Maller

And to be clear, those 3 hole mounts like the tiger props use are much more sturdy than the older single hole prop adapters. The tiger props also perform the best of any props I've used. But they are very spendy and hard to find.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion for using Foxtech Supreme Lite props. They are great to use and I bet you will find that you get a little better performance and much better durability by using them.

6. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

So just in general the props are more sturdy? Or you mean when they are used with all three holes. I will not be using the two outer holes since there is no adapter to use that configuration. It will be mounted on just the center hole via the CW/CCW specific adapters.

7. Steve Maller

Both.

8. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Terrific! thanks Steve!

9. Dave King

Alex the XOAR props are the most fragile of any prop on the market. The Foxtech supremes are carbon fiber just like the Tiger props and they are very durable. As far as fastening of the props the 3 hole design like Tiger and Foxtech uses is much more secure than having one nut holding the prop on via the prop adapter. If you have to take the props off/on a lot you will probably find using the 3 hole mounting system a bit of a pain and like the normal style prop adapters better.

10. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Good to know, yes those XOAR's sure are fragile...gone through quite a few ;)

I am limited to using just the one nut holding these props to my QC motors, as far as i know there is now 3 hole prop adapter to fit on my motors. This is how I plan to mount: [​IMG]

11. Dave King

It's been a while since I used the 3228's. I believe if you remove the prop adapter on the 3228's you can use the 3 hole configuration. I'm pretty sure most motor bolt patterns support that adapter.

12. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Unfortunately the bolt pattern on the 3228's is just the triangular 3 bolt pattern, so I cant use the in-line configuration. Oh well, I think those adapters should work just fine! They are directional adapters with a rough surface on them to add extra grip. I will report back with the results!

13. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Has anyone tried the APC multiroror 16in props, I'm in the same boat , I've had good luck with the APC slowfly 14in props in the past,

14. Steve Maller

IMHO the APC MR props are considerably better than the Slo-Fly, providing you're not lifting too much. Those nylon props have a lot of flex to them and they deform when lifting a lot of weight. How much is "too much weight"? Hard to say. But when I was flying my CS8 with the 2-axis and a NEX5n at 15 pounds or so, it felt like a good match. But once I started getting closer to 20 pounds (and eventually over that), I went to CF props and haven't looked back.

15. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I don't recall where I saw it, but somewhere out there is a prop adapter that allows you to use the CF props on older motors that were not made with the CF prop bolt pattern. If you find those prop adapters you could put them on your QC motors and use the CF props with the 3 hole pattern instead of the single M6 nylock.

As far as the MR props from APC, I have used them in 14, 16 and 18 inch sizes and they are pretty good. Far, far better than the slow flyers, but not quite as rigid as CF props.

16. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Steve and Dave do you remember the TM CF V1 props they look very similar to the current V2 props but the difference was that the V1 had a flat profile in a spoon like pitch, the V2 have a true airfoil shape in the profile + the pitch, looking at the Foxtech props the Supremes look in shape closer to the TM CF V2 props vs the Supreme Light look like the TM CF V1 am I right

Alex check here
    http://www.gravesrc.com/xor1450pme-...nter-rotating-propellers-14-x-5-electric.html

17. Steve Maller

There are other differences. One annoying difference is that in an X8 config, the Foxtech props won't mount flush to the motor bell on the lower 4 motors without a little spacer. The T-motor props work fine.

18. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Steve, how are the Foxtech to balance? Do you the dubro?

19. Steve Maller

I didn't balance them. They worked fine out of the box.

20. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Hi Steve, thinking of trying the Foxtech or the Tiger props for my CS 8.
    No using Meijslik but they are a bit on the expensive side :-(
    You say the Foxtech dont perform as good as the Tiger props.
    In what way is that? Less thrust, more vibrations?

Regards.

/Janne