/dist/images/branding/favicon

Programming MX-12 for Gimbal

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Tinja Virtanen, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Tinja Virtanen

Tinja Virtanen New Member

Hi, my problem is that I got a new MX-12 transmitter for my 3-axis gimbal and I can't get it work. I don't know from where to put the servos or get it connect with the gimbal. Also the shutter release blinks a red light all the time. So how can I program the transmitter right to work with the gimbal? I couldn't find anywhere how to make it work and I would really appreciate someone helping me out a little :)

2. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Hi Tinja ... are you using it with or without Radians?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Tinja Virtanen

Hi yes I have the radians for it :)

5. Tinja Virtanen

Oh yes sorry I did not know that but now it has been changed to my real name :)

6. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Hi,
    Did You found how to program MX12 for the 3 axis gimbal? Because I have the same question and problem
    David

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

David:
    Can you provide a little more information please?

1. Are you using Radians with the 3-Axis Gimbal?
    2. Is it the Freefly 3-Axis Gimbal?
    3. What receiver are using?
    4. Are you using the MX-12 just for gimbal control?
    5. Are you familiar with how you assign radio control channels on the MX12?
    6. Are you familiar with how you use the Radian PC software to assign the RC channels for Mode control, Tilt, Roll, Pan control?

Obviously, some of the above you may not be familiar with otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question, but knowing what you do know will make it easier to confine answers to what you need.

Thanks
    Andy.

8. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Andy, Thanks a lot for instant reply. Here are the answers
    1.Yes
    2. Yes
    3.GR12
    4.Yes
    5. NO :(
    6. NO :(
    Your help greatly appreciate.
    Thank You in advance
    David

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

One question I should have also asked you is what transmitter and receiver are you using for flight control? If it's also a Graupner, you are going to have problems with both *receivers* on the aircraft trying to transmit back telemetry.

But, for the moment, to deal with questions 5. and 6. start with the mental model that your transmitter and receiver can transmit independent control signals on six different channels -- you need to associate specific sticks/switches/rotary controls on your transmitter with specific channels. For the MX-12, those some of those associations are already done.

The MX-12 manual is here: http://www.graupner.de/en/products/...fadcdda2afa9/33112/product.aspx?tab=downloads
    You may need to "unzip" the file you get and then find the English manual.
    Then read from page 58 -- the definitions, and then page 59 which tells you how to assign switches to channels.

Before you actually make any changes, read page 135. This shows you how you can see each of the six channels and verify that the switches/sticks are assigned to the correct channel.

You will need to decide which of the sticks and switches you want to control what gimbal function. I don't actually have an MX-12, but the manual (on page 20) shows that it has two sticks, four switches, and two rotary controls.

The gimbal is going to need:
    1. A mode control (so that you can select whether the Radians are Off, Fixed position (stabilized), or Stabilized and you can control the camera. (these are actually know as Mode Off, Stabilized Fixed, and Stabilized Slew). I would suggest using Switch 4/5 (top left hand corner) for the mode switch.

2. A tilt control. You might want to use the right stick backwards and forwards for this? But it's up to you. You can look at the Servo Display (manual page 135) to see which channels are controlled by the sticks.

3. A pan control. Two schools of thought: Have the pan control on the same stick as the tilt control. Or not. You get to choose. Again, look at the Servo display and figure out which channels are assigned to the sticks.

4. Possibly, a roll control -- assuming you want to be able to dutch the camera. Many folks don't do this and just allow the Radians to hold the gimbal level.

So make a note of what you currently have in the way of channel assignments before you change anything. The sticks are usually assigned to channels 1, 2, 3, and 4. So all you have left to do is figure out how to assign Switch 4/5 to channel 5 -- this will be the Mode channel for the gimbal.

Verify that everything is working right with the Servo Display window. Now you can move on to the Radian.

I presume you have the Radian documentation? If not, you can download from http://www.freeflysystems.com/pdf/radianManual-v1.pdf
    You will need to install the Radian software on your PC running Windows XP, 7, or 8.
    If you're on XP you'll need to manually install some FTDI drivers. Win7 and 8 do this automatically.
    You then use the Radian USB adapter to connect up to each Radian in turn -- YOU CANNOT PROGRAM ALL THE RADIANS WITHOUT CONNECTING UP TO EACH ONE IN TURN. (Sorry for shouting, but....)

Look at the left hand image on page 28 of the Radian documentation.
    Connect the Radian adapter cable to the tilt Radian:
    1. Click Read to get the current settings.
    2. Verify it is set to tilt otherwise click on Tilt-1.
    3. Change the Slew to whatever channel you decided you want to control tilt.
    4. Change the mode to channel 5 if it's not already set to that.
    5. Click on Write to write the settings back out to the Radian. Don't forget to do this!

Connect the Radian adapter cable to the Roll Radian:
    1. Click Read.
    2. Verify it is set to roll otherwise click on Roll-1
    3. Change Slew to OFF (unless you want to Dutch the camera -- in which case, set it to the appropriate channel).
    4. Change the mode to channel 5 unless it is already set to that.
    5. Click on Write.

You can probably guess how to set up the Pan Radian -- it's the same technique.

Note: You will then need to put the camera and lens on the gimbal and balance it properly. There are videos on how to balance and set the gain values for the Radians at http://www.freeflysystems.com/media/tutorials.php -- they're all well worth watching.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

10. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, ANDY!!! I will try all Your suggestions and advises. And will report here if I could make it work everything.
    So, thank You for Your detailed explanation one more times!
    Yes, for flight control I am going to use also Graupner (MX20+GR16). Never thought that it could be a problem, and if so why QC suggest MX12 for the gimbal, without asking about other transmitter-reviver using for flight control?!?!
    Regards
    David

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi David:
    Sorry, I don't know why QC would suggest the MX12.

If you do a Google search for:
    using two graupner hott receivers​
    you'll find the necessary techniques for disabling the telemetry on the second receiver.​
    For example :
    Andy.​