/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problems with BL Ctrl

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustavo Rios, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi,
    I have an engine that does not work, on my last flight this engine 2 it delayed in turning on but then all good, now that I was check for flight not start this engine, I have the BL ctrl with a flashing red light, any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Gustavo.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I did a Google search and the only information I can find is on this page. It's not particularly helpful in that it says the Red LED means "error." (In the software business this is known as "There has been an error. See if you can guess what is wrong.")

I also did a Google search for the BL-Ctrl source code and had a look at it. In file main.c lines 194-199 it reads:

if(Strom > 60)
    {
    STEUER_OFF; // Abschalten wegen Kurzschluss
    RotBlink(10);
    return(0);
    }

Translated this means:
    If the current is greater than 60, shut down due to short circuit, then call the function to blink the Red LED.

Do you have the GPX file from the last flight? If so, I suspect it will show you that motor #4 was pulling a large amount of current.
    Can you upload that GPX file to this thread?

Armed with the information above:

1. Do you have the GPX file from the last flight? If so, I suspect it will show you that motor #4 was pulling a large amount of current.
    Can you upload that GPX file to this thread?

2. From the page I reference in the first paragraph above, this section is relevant:

Step 1: Connecting and checking the operating voltage

To be sure no unwanted short-circuits are introduced, check the 5V with respect to GND (there are pads with notes "5V" and "GND").​
    Also, the 12V supply should be checked for short-circuitry (direct at the connections for battery voltage).​
    At these measures, a resistance clearly above 0 ohm should be noticed. This means, the short-circuit-tester should not beep.​
    If there is a short-circuit noticed, commonly short-circuits on the 100nF-condensers are the cause. When using solder paste: less is more.​
    The operating voltage is connected to BAT+ and BAT-. It is highly advised to use a net-supply with current limiting, until you are sure everything is functioning. A socket net-supply with 9-12V DC output voltage will be useful. After connection of the operating voltage, the 5V supply should be tested. Measure the "+5V" connection with respect to ground. This voltage should be between 4,8V and 5,2V.​

3. So, check to make sure that there are no visible short circuits -- especially in and around the connections to the motor wires. These can be a small as a whisker of solder or a single strand of wire.

4. REMOVE ALL THE PROPS! Then try connecting up a different boom/motor to boom #4, then use MK Tool's motor test to start motor #4.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

3. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

My last flight.

Attached Files:

4. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Gustavo,

The component in question will need to be replaced. This sounds like a ESC phase error or shunt error.

Greetings,
    Adam

5. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Andy, Adam, I tried again and I noticed that the red light blink only when I start engines, before only is on, without blink. Could it be the motor or is the BL anyway ?

Thanks,

Gustavo

6. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Gustavo,

If you switch (unplug) the motor wires out from an adjacent ESC and plug them into the ESC in question and still receive the error LED (red) then the problem is with the ESC and not the motor.
    Greetings,
    Adam

7. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Adam, tested, the engine is not the problem.

Thanks,

Gustavo

8. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Now, my question is why ? this appears from nowhere

Thanks

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good question.

I think some component may have died an ugly death -- I suspect something on the BL-Ctrtl. I know people have reported that the big capacitors can vibrate loose in flight -- that's why they should be glued down to the board.

If you have not already done so, I'd remove the Power Distribution Board and have a good lock at the BL-Ctrl under a magnifying glass -- verify that the capacitors are still solidly mounted and that the solder joints are good. If nothing bad is visible you may have to replacing the BL-Ctrl, I'm afraid. Joe Azzarelli has recently replaced a BL-Ctrl and may be able to describe how he did it.

Andy.

10. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy, I have not seen what you say to me on the capacitors. I am going to replace the BL but my dread is that it returns to happen. Something there must be caused this fails.

Gustavo.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo:
    I understand your concern. However sometimes electronic components just fail without a reason so all you can do is replace things and see what happens. It is not a very comfortable feeling, though.

Andy.

12. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Ok Andy, I wait for the arrive the new BL and I cross my fingers.
    Fortunately this happened before takeoff :)

Gustavo.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo:
    I just happened to find this Wiki page that describes the other reasons why the red LED on the BL-Ctrl might flash (you need to scroll down to see the section on the red LED).

Hope this helps
    Andy

14. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi,
    For fix the capacitors is sufficient hot glue of craft ? Someone have a picture for reference ?

thanks,

Gustavo.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo:
    Yes, craft hot glue works well.
    Just put a dab of hot glue between the capacitor and the surface of the power distribution board. It doesn't have to be pretty -- just secure!

Andy

Cap with hot glue.png

16. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy, for one side I can do it, but with the other capacitor? I have a Cinestar 6.
    Thanks,

Gustavo.

IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've found that hot glue stays molten for long enough that I can pick it up with a wooden toothpick and put it in hard-to-reach places.
    The goal is just to get hot glue attached to the side of the capacitor and *anything* on the BL-Ctrl, so that the cap does not vibrate and fatigue the leads that connect it to the BL-Ctrl.

Was that your question, Gustavo? Let me know if it was not.

Andy

18. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

No, on one side can be done, but on the other capacitor I not have place

Gustavo.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you cannot get to the side of the capacitor, can you reach the circular end of the capacitor -- the opposite end to where the leads emerge? That would be a good place too?

Andy.
    Cap with hot glue (annotated).png

20. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

This is my doubt because I have no place on the power d board.

Gustavo

IMG_2449.JPG