/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problem with Tilt and Futaba T8FG

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Sardinia Multirotors, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Sardinia Multirotors

Hello guys i'm Brombo, nice to meet lot of good people!

I have a problem setting the tilt angle, i have a screenshot of the diagnostic window,

[​IMG]

take a look at Current Angle and Demand...

I checked everything i think, this is a short list of what i did:

1) no restrictions for short wires, they are as in your video
    2) the CG of the camera is ok, i balanced it without belts as in the video tutorial
    3) i created a new profile in the Transmitter T8FG to clean any wrong settings or restrictions
    4) i checked the travel of the servos without powering on the Gimbal and it turn easily over -70° with hands
    5) checked the travel of the channel in the Input Monitor and it's ok
    6) i'm using as you can see the directional stick CH2, but i tried with potentiometer and switchs and it's the same.

No way.. always -70° even if i set -110° in the Min Angle box.

Any idea?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. John Cunningham

Hello Brombo and welcome to the radian owners club.

The '-70' seems suspicious because it is the angle which the radian 'thinks' it is at and should be changing whenever the axis moves.

The first thing for you to do is to verify that the Radian is configured and mounted correctly for it's sensing axis.

Check the sticky thread "How To Verify The Correct Radian Orientation Setting" and let us know if it is sensing movement properly.

3. Sardinia Multirotors

Hello John and ty for the replay.

I checked the Radian Tilt Configuration and seem to be all right, i followed the Orientation Setting thread doing step by step all is written in the procedure, but not luck..
    Moving with hands the Tilt with servo disconnected and Software Connected to the Radian, i can see in Current Angle the numbers going over -110 too, with my wires lenght i can go up to -170.
    So, where is the problem?

4. John Cunningham

Brombo,

On the Radian display, look at the servo drive bar as you move the Radian. When the 'current' angle goes through the 'demanded' angle, the servo drive bar should quickly move from one side to the other as the Radian is attempting to correct in the opposite sense.

It should be doing it as you move it each way.

Is this what you are seeing ?.

5. Sardinia Multirotors

Hey John,

i tried to take a look at the servo drive bar when the current goes through the demanded angle, but the bar just continue to stay in the side of the act, the Radian don't attempt to correct in the opposite sense.
    In both directions is the same. Don't quickly move from one side to the other.

When the current angle is at -70° the servo tilt stop moving but the demanded angle in the configuration continue to go up tp -110°.
    Then if i want to come back to 0 i need to push the stick in the opposite direction and wait a couple of seconds that the demanded angle come back to -70 to see again the servo working.

Let me know what i can check now.

6. John Cunningham

Hey Brombo,

Can you set your Radian back to the default settings (see the sticky thread on how to do it), then reconfigure it to be the tilt again and see if that fixes it ?.

7. Sardinia Multirotors

I tried a couple of times but same situation.
    It reset to Roll then you need to set again the parameters but without a solution.

8. John Cunningham

Brombo,

What mount+servos are you using ?. It sounds like it might be something to do with how a digital servo will stop driving the motor if the drive pulse goes beyond a certain value, but that should not happen.

You have dummy resistors connected to the servo instead of an external pot right ?.

9. Sardinia Multirotors

Hi John,
    i attach a couple of pictures to see directly.
    I'm not using the resistors connected to all the 3 serovs but the pan. I have the 2 other resistors to use but i was waiting to be sure.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      288.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      310.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      316.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You must disconnect the potentiometers and use the resistors, Brombo. You can physically remove the roll potentiometer -- it is not structural, and will just be dead weight once you have the resistor in place.

Andy.

11. Sardinia Multirotors

ok i found it the solution.. i was using the Servos with Radian and Potentiometers..
    i just tried the resistors instead of the Poti and now i get all the range in the Tilt, and less jittering even if in fast movements.
    The Roll is not affected becouse the travel is 30 / -30, so i can probably leave the Poti for Roll but i changed with resistors just to..
    So, you can confirm that with Radian you need to use Resistors instead of Potentiometers in the Tilt and Roll?

12. Sardinia Multirotors

Oh ty, i was writing at the same time... Thank you so much for the kind support.
    Solved!

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Brombo:
    Remove all potentiometers, use resistors on all three Radians. :)

Andy.

14. Sardinia Multirotors

Again, thank you so much for your help. Already did and all work fine now.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear you got it working, Brombo.

Regards
    Andy.