/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problem with shape of FF servo connectors

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Has anyone else tripped over this problem?

As you can see from the attached image, the FF servo connector has a "step" in the profile that has the effect of making the rear of the connector (where the wires emerge) thicker than the rest of the connector.
    FF Servo Connector Step.png

For ports 1-3 I'm using Pololu red/black/white twisted wire servo extensions -- their connectors are completely flat without any "step."

The effect is, that when you have Ports 1 - 3 occupied with Pololu connectors, you cannot then connect up the FF servo to port 4 -- the thicker step part at the rear of the FF servo connector offsets the connector so that you cannot line up the pins. I've tried "persuading" the Pololu connectors in 1-3 to move down towards pin 1, but the connector on port 1 is hard against the Radian outer case.

The Pololu servo connectors caliper at 2.6mm thick. The FF servo connectors are 2.45mm at the thin part and 2.85mm at the thick part adjacent to the wires.

I thought I could just swap over to a new Pololu female connector, but, unfortunately, the crimped-on pins from the FF servo connector will not latch inside the housing of the female connector from Pololu, so the only options are either to cut off the FF pins and re-crimp on new Pololu female pins and use a Pololu female servo connector or to file off the thicker step on the FF servo connector. (Oh...and I thought the filing off the step would be quicker. Nope. :( )

Andy.

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy,

I think if you are a bit more 'persuasuve' you can get the servo lead to plug in OK. I was able to put 5 FF servos side by side on my test Radian on the bench. I think this is a problem caused by the Pololu being a bit thicker then normal and then the step on the FF servo.

Just a note, the extensions included with the production Radians will fit without any issue.

Tabb

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tabb:
    I really did try to be persuasive. Then I used brute force and ignorance. Then I tried being really nice to the connectors.
    No joy.

I suspect you may be right that the Pololu's are a little thicker than they should be.

And there I was thinking that servo connectors were standard (except for the Futaba standard, that is).

Thanks
    Andy