/dist/images/branding/favicon

Powering option when weight becomes an issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Erich Roland, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

I’ve been working on an idea for when my clients are using a heavy camera with all the bells, wireless focus, iris, video, etc. At some point the Movi can become a beast that’s difficult to operate because of too much weight, and or a long shot, etc.

One solution I’ve come up with is to take batteries off the rig itself. I have a standard 14v belt battery and I’m also making my own newer version. The new one will clip in (2) Anton bauer batteries in parallel so one at a time can be hot swapped to keep everything humming when batt’s need changing. Movi Batt needs to stay on however.

From the belt I’ll run a long thin cable up to the rig and I’ve built a distribution “Y” cable to give JST to wireless aks, and one heavier duty wire and connector to run the camera.

Obviously this isn’t for every kind of shooting and you couldn’t do a hand-off maneuver being tied to the power source but this will offer one solution to a common problem of powering hungry devices and more important reducing the weight of the rig itself and putting that weight in a place that doesn’t matter as much, on your hips. When its time to park the rig just un-clip the belt and hang it on the C stand docking rig… then go get yourself a latte’ at crafty!

Attached Files:

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Great, smart, simple solution to cut down the weight and saves your arms and shoulders from the burn of lactic acid build up...we'll at least for the first few minutes.

3. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Plus, one battery to change for cam and Aks that's easy to get to when in heavy situations. With Epic, were normally using the red internal battery which makes sense for a few reasons, but to get to the batt compartment you need to loosen the camera plate to access it. Then its back to re-balancing, and with epic your talking every 15-20 minute battery change. The out-board Belt battery makes a lot of sense to me in these situations. Its an option anyway.

Howard Dapp likes this.