/dist/images/branding/favicon

Powering Camera (etc) with Movi Battery

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Andy Post, May 24, 2015.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey Thrill Seekers,
    This is a newbie question, so be gentle....

I'm configuring my M5 to carry a Sony A7s and an Atomos Shogun. When I get the recorder, camera, and lens all mounted and balanced I find that I have to slide the whole mess back to get to the battery compartment. I'm not keen on having to rebalance every time I need to change batteries. So...

I'm wondering how much stuff I can run off of the M5 battery. On the gimbal I have:
    • Things that will run directly off the Movi 4s battery
      • The Movi itself
      • The Video Transmitter that sends the image to the gimbal operator
      • The Shogun Recorder
    • Things that would require a BEC to step down the voltage
      • An HDMI to AV converter (it's not an HDMI transmitter)
      • The Sony A7s
    I've heard that the Movi will run for hours on it's battery. But...and here's my thinking...every 10 ish minutes I have to land and replace the two main flight batteries. While down, I have to check the level of the Movi battery, the Shogun battery, and the Sony Battery. Is there any reason I shouldn't run everything off the Movi battery and just plan on replacing it with a fresh one every time (or maybe every other time) I replace the main flight batteries?

It seems like it would be much simpler overall.

What am I missing, and what dangers do I not see coming?

Thanks for your input.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Welcome to the forum!

Instead of re-posting a discussion that's taken place numerous times about that particular issue, here's links to a bunch of threads...start there and maybe join one of those. Or search around here...this is a FAQ.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/m5-and-larger-movi-accessory-batteries.6444/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/mounting-accesories-on-the-m5.4031/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/how-long-will-the-battery-last.6358/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/battery-issue.6224/

3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I may be a newbie, but I'm an old guy. That's my excuse for having such poor search skills. Thanks a zillion, I'll look the over.

4. Steve Maller

I've heard you actually can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

5. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Well...this old dog has no previous experience in the RC world. Bought a quad (and had to do LOTS of repair work on it) and am now waiting for clear skies to do our maiden flight on an X8. It's been a pretty tremendous learning curve, with a great deal of time searching for answers to little questions like this.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your coming alongside with a few quick links to let me know I'm on a viable path.

P.S.
    Have also killed a few lipos. One by testing a "Lipo Saver" that was supposed to cut off before the lipo did itself in; but didn't. The second I was using to balance motors and left the BEC that was powering a transmitter plugged in over night.

One thing I've learned is that there are several meanings to the term "learn". I've learned that letting a lipo go too far will kill it. But I'm not certain I've learned to be vigilant in all cases to not let it happen again.

6. Steve Maller

Be VERY careful: learning with lipos can be an incendiary experience!

7. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Oh yeah. I treat them like Grand Children. You have to watch them every second because you never know when they'll go off....