/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power issue Alexa Mini

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mathias Naslund, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mathias Naslund

Mathias Naslund New Member

I'm prepping my Movi Pro with an Alexa Mini and using the Freefly power cable. But I doesn't get the dtap port to power the camera. Am I missing something? The camera dtap works fine with my Red camera. And the Alexa Mini works with vlock batteries. Any ideas someone?

2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Make sure you are using the proper port.. the one on the "Camera left side" is the camera power, the right side is for accessories

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Like Justin said, that's my first guess. The Camera D-Tap is rated for 6A, and the Accessory D-Tap is only rated for 2A.

If that's not your problem, do you have the lens motors or any powered accessories plugged into the Mini? You might try unplugging those and see what happens.

I did see this happen once a few months ago, and I'm trying to remember what the problem was. It might have been a loose connection because I had two D-Taps plugged in underneath, and one might have been interfering with the other. It can be a tight fit underneath there with the ports so close together and the cable have to be routed just right for them to fit all the way in.

4. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Please make all ports do 6amp at least!
    The lipos can output over 100amps so crank those amps up freefly :)

Ben Ruffell likes this.
  5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

How long do you think the system will run with 6A running out of all three ports?

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

A hack for now in make yourself a 3:1 output off the camera 6amp to run you more power hungry camera/accessories. The other ports are 2amp but even that has issues - example sometimes running just a Tomahawk... it powers but will not transmit at times, not enough punch, a reboot helps reset the internal settings.

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I haven't found the power limitations to be that much trouble. When I first got the Movi Pro and was getting used to it, it was a trial and error process to learn how to adapt to different camera setups, but once I solved how to adapt power wherever I needed for different camera setups, it wasn't that hard. I'm sure the limitations are there for a reason, and I'd rather my gimbal didn't catch fire. :)

After the v1.1 firmware update, the 2A accessory port beneath the camera has been able to reliably power my Tomahawk. Haven't noticed an issue like you described, Jason.

I don't use the 2A port on the GCU on the back of the gimbal. I found that if I did, the cable would get in the way when I Roll-Flipped the Movi... and I seem to be moving the Movi from Handheld to fixed mount\c-stand\jib a lot.

I guess a lot of the power issues are more solvable because I had the M15, which required V-mount batteries for RED and Arri Mini. I have those V-mount options already in my kit just in case, but haven't had to use them very often.

Having a couple of M15 LiPo batteries and a D-Tap to JST adapter in the kit usually solves any power problems with accessories like Preston or Bartech FIZ, and I used a LiPo to power a Teradek Colr recently. The WCU4 on the Arri works through the camera's power on the 6A port.

I like to keep my 5" monitor powered by its own battery (currently a SmallHD 503 with a 63wH V-mount from Global Media Pro). That way, I only have one cable coming from the gimbal to the ring or handle bar, and I'm moving the monitor around a lot depending on the setup, so I like to keep it self contained.

All that said, at last count, I have something like 50 batteries scattered throughout my Movi and camera kit... it's kind of ridiculous.

8. Mathias Naslund

Mathias Naslund New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. It was the (brand new) dtap-alexamini power cable that was not working. I also tried another one (also brand new). None of them was working. I hope and guess this was just a one time mistake with this specific batch. But spending quite a lot of money on a single cable I would have expect in to be working. At least one of the cables. With that said I'm running my RED Scarlet-W with the Freefly cables all time without any problem.

Ryan Forte likes this.