/dist/images/branding/favicon

Potential Cinestar 8 HL buyer/builder questions

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Daniel Delaunay, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Daniel Delaunay

After one year of FPV training and long nights diving into forums, I'm finally getting ready to start buying parts and slowly assemble my first professional multirotor.
    Since I will be putting a considerable amount of money on a pro level machine, I'm considering building a Cinestar8 heavy lifter that could carry up to a RED, giving me a very flexible work horse for all kinds of jobs.

But since I'm quite new to Cinestar builds, I still have many important questions like:
    Does the Cinestar 8 can be mounted in "+" and also "x" arms configuration without any mod?
    Since I've got used to small quads and hexas I do prefer X configuration and I also noticed in many Cinestar8 raw videos the front boom (+ build) frequently showing down on camera frame.
    Is that something I should worry?

To carry the RED would I need to make permanent mods to the Cinestar 3axis gimbal or the RED configuration can be quickly changed back to normal for carrying other smaller cameras like the EOS 5D or CX760 ?

Regarding motors choice, recently many pancake models made specific for multirotors have showed up in the market. Some shops now have their own branded versions for multirotors.
    I know most Cinestar8 HL users have been using AXI or more recently 3515 T-Motors (usually rebranded) with good results.
    The AXIs seems out of my budget and I was wondering if anyone using the new pancakes can say if they perform any better than the 3515 motors. I imagine they can offer lower amps and better efficiency, probably resulting in less expensive distribution boards and longer flight times without sacrificing the required power for a serious heavy lifter.

And what would be the maximum propellers size to fit in the standard frame?
    Actually I like better smaller props and faster motors for stability, but just in case I decide to go with pancake motors that require 15" or even 16" props for heavy load, would I need longer boom arms?
    If so, can I get a frame kit that already comes with them or that would have to be bought as extra?

Last but not the least, In order to make this bird ready asap, I was considering using a cheaper Hoverfly gimbal control board until I can afford the 3 axis Radian system.
    Is anyone using it with good enough results on a Cinestar 3axis gimbal?
    And is the Radian really worth almost 3x the price of other controlers?

Thanks everyone!

2. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Fala Daniel,
    Will try to answer,
    First don't forget to support your local reseller Caraca.org, as u will notice, we will be able to help you on your quest, and the prices are not that diferent from US.
    Yes it can be mounted in X, but it make orientation harder and in 3 axis gimbal doesn't mater as the camera will be pointing all over. And the only time we see our props are in really high wind. For that we lower the gimbal and extended the landing gear.
    yes it is not that easy to quick swap between red and cx 760 as the CG is really diferent and weight soo, you will have to have diferent gimbals. On the other hand we work, producing commercial films and the search for flying a red is not that big and between a 5d and a cx760 is not that hard if you have the marks fours them and also the settings on radians for each camera, remember that if you change lens, will change everything.
    I love pancakes motors, they are for bigger props, 3515 is been proved as a great formula, and both do well in the wind.with 15x5.
    we do have CS8 heavy lift kits with longer booms no needs too buy extra (only@caraca.org).
    Our experience is radian is three way to go, if you are on a budget go with one axi@a time, so u don't spend money 2 times on gimbal controllers
    Cheers, Abracos

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel for some great videos check out the ones on Vimeo from Thiago Kraus, also in São Paulo I believe. On Vimeo do a search for Drones4You. Really good educational stuff if you haven't seen them. Lots of tips on using and setting up the Cinestar.

4. Daniel Delaunay

Hy Gary, yes I saw a few. Just didn't like much. Maybe because his voice sounds funny in english or maybe because I think he should be doing it in portuguese if he want to help locals. Probably both! But maybe I should give his videos another try if the guy is really good.

I was also looking if there was a way to buy a download version of Freefly assembly guide video. But it seems they only sell hard copies.

Cinestar have many upgraded versions released since they started production and sales, it that correct?
    Which one is the latest? Any new version about to be released? I wouldn't like to buy the frame and before I finish the setup I find out there is a brand new highly improved frame or gimbal version hitting the market.

Caju, give me a shout when you are back from holidays. I guess you can help me figure out the best setup. I will be very happy to support your local shop if support and prices are really good. ;)

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel. The nice ting about Thiago's videos is that rather than just reading about FC settings and not have a clear understanding about how they influence the copter he has captured them in a video form. Much easier to understand. And with tongue in cheek yes his english is interesting but English is the official worldwide language of aviation, at least on anything that flies humans aloft, so I applaud him for doing it in english rather than Portugese with subtitles like some of the other videos out there :)

Buy the DVD. Well worth the expense if you plan to build your copter and be able to maintain it.

On the CS frames there is the 6 and 8. Very little has changed on the frame designs, motors, props since the beginning. Additions have been the 2 axis and 3 axis camera mounts and the Radian gyros.

Saw on this forum that they are planning to release a heavy lift version with a new flight controller. Looking forward to seeing what that involves. There may be an upgrade path since the photos look awfully similar to the current machine.

Also saw a small quad with a video over on Vimeo. Nice size for shooting with a GoPro.

Good luck on your quest. Sounds like you started out small and are working your way up the complexity ladder.

6. Daniel Delaunay

Thanks Gary.
    It also seem that Thiago's videos are all based on HoverFly FC. And as I'm probably going with WK, which I already have some practical knowledge, his videos didn't appeal much to me. But considering information is never too much, I will take your advice and check them out.
    Regarding the DVD, I wonder if Caju has it in his shop.

Well, so far I've spent a lot of money in small FPV multi rotors. Made and had almost all the usual and not so usual mistakes and problems. I probably could have a nice Cinestar with all I spent in the last year and a good part of the money was spent in products that I found out were very overpriced low quality trash. But the careless fun fly and mistakes I did would have come out much more expensive if I had gone straight to a Cinestar, specially the fly away. LOL

On the other hand I just spent and didn't make any money.
    The guys here that went straight for pro level multirotors at that time seems to have paid the investment quickly and also have their professional agendas very busy by now.
    But everyone has his own timing and I'm happy about how things are going.
    I still have a lot to learn as I'm just starting, but hopefully from now on also doing some money along the way when I have the Cinestar ready.

Great to hear about the Heavy Lift Cinestar version! That is exactly what I want.
    Wonder how long until it's released.
    And would be perfect if they could make it also easy and quick to disassemble for transportation.
    This seem to be the biggest challenge for Cinestar users.
    I'm sure Freefly engineers can come out with a smart and high quality system to solve that.

And feels great to be here at Freefly thread.
    Shame I took so long to actively join it.
    The atmosphere here reflects the Freefly products level with so many cool professionals participating.

Ops, this post is getting too big, better I disconnect my restless mind from my fingers now...lol !