/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pot-Roast of Beginner's Questions

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Zach Beggs, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Thanks Shaun!

2. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Hey guys, I did that coating on my MK PDB for moisture & humidity, however I assume the discoloration after flights is normal. Any alarm on the yellow gunk around the BL pads? This is the only spot I am seeing the yellow discoloration (due to heat I assume).

[​IMG]

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Zach: Specifically which product did you use? I've not seen any discoloration.

Is the discoloration on all the solder pads for the pig-tail wires? I'm just wondering whether it's inadvertently acting as a temperature sensor and telling you which MOSFETs are running hot.

Andy.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If it isn't the coating it really looks like a bad solder joint with left over resin from the solder core.

5. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

The discolor is only on that joint as well as another close by. It happened after a shoot. I had QC do my bullet connectors to get the solder joints right. I was running 105 Celsius at one point during this job -- perhaps the extreme heat melted the silicone and baked on the BL pad, causing the discolor.

Any concern I should worry about? Should I take nail polish remover at it or just leave it alone?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd use some isopropyl alcohol rather than acetone -- see if you can clean it off just so you can better monitor what's going on in future.

Andy.

7. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

I used Fine-Kote I think it was called. I'll clean it up, thanks Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I forgot to explain why not to use acetone -- it's a very aggressive solvent for plastic. You never really know which bits on a board are plastic and you really want to avoid the movie "The Solvent That Ate My Power Distribution Board." :)

Andy.

9. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Beginners question according to batteries! Thank you for your time to read this and reply!

I've been reading on the forums and most people either use a deep cycle battery or a generator to charge their lipos in the field.

1. Is it as simple as taking the "ah" and dividing the capacity of your lipos to determine how many charges you would get out of a deep cycle?
    Example: 12v 100ah - 100/8?

2. Would it be the a good idea to get 2 deep cycles and gain them for 24v?

3. What do you prefer? Thanks so much for you time!

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zach the charger will not be 100% efficient. Would plan on maybe 85% efficiency.

11. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

QC3328 Motors -- Ball Bearings & Maintenance

I've put a few hours on my cinestar. Maybe 5-8 hours of flight time. How do I check the ball bearings? What's the life on them and how often should I maintenance them?

Thanks guys!

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Run them until you start hearing them go bad. You can wiggle the shafts, side to side, up and down. But other than sound not much other way to test them. There are folks who have never changed bearings. Hundreds of hours on the motors. Don't have prop strikes and crashes also extends the life ;) or so I am told....

Look on the forum for the bearing replacement tool kit that Bart sells over on multirotor forum. Easy simple way to change them if you need to.