/dist/images/branding/favicon

Possible to Run/Stop RED DSMC2 via Sync Port (from Movi CAM Port)

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Jamie Fulbrook, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Jamie Fulbrook

Jamie Fulbrook New Member

Hey folks,

I’m looking for help with activating the Run/Stop function via the the Movi Pro TSU CAM Port to my RED DSMC2 via the Sync Port (Not Ctrl Port)

My set-up. A RED DSMC2 with V-Lock I/O Expander on a Movi Pro. The CTRL port on the RED Expander is already taken (by SmallHD Cine 7 with RED Control Kit). I’m also using the Redrock Micro Navigator for FIZ.

Now, as I said, the CTRL port on the RED is already taken, but in know the SYNC port on the RED I/O Expander can trigger run/stop. I’m just not sure how to do this or how risky this is if I connect the sync port to a TSU CAM port. Any advice on how to get this running, or correct or better cables to use would be a big help.

Thanks very much!

Freefly Manual: http://freefly-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/support/MoVI_Pro_Manual_Revision_C.pdf
    RED ports: http://docs.red.com/955-0182/DSMC2D...Content/C_IO_Ports/IO_Communication.htm#SYNC2

Alejandro Selman likes this.
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

With my Bartech run/stop cable, these are the settings on the RED to make it work. These are older instructions, probably more applicable to the Epic DSMC1 than the 2, but maybe it will help. I think it uses the Sync port for R/S.

On the RED DSMC camera:

Navigate to the Brain GPIO menu, and ensure the following

- Camera Input: General Purpose In

- Brain GPI In High: Record Start

- Brain GPI In Low: Record Stop

- Camera Output: Sync Out

3. Jamie Fulbrook

Jamie Fulbrook New Member

Thanks Graham. That certainly helps with this somewhat. And is the other end of your Bartech cable got a Molex connector going into the TSU CAM Port of your Movi Pro?

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

No, the Bartech does Run/Stop through its own handset, so the Movi's not involved. I have triggered Run\Stop on a DSMC2 camera through the Mimic before, using the Movi's RCP cable, but from the photos I have of that setup, it looks like I was probably plugged into the Control port and not Sync.