/dist/images/branding/favicon

Paralinx Arrow setup

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Robert Redd, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

What's the best way to power the Paralinx arrow on the MR? Looks like it needs 5v.

2. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

You may find that your receiver is running at 5 volts so depending on the current the paralynx uses you could plug a servo cable into a spare port on the receiver (using only the black and red wires- the white or orange wire on the outside would not be needed.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I would run a BEC split off the MoVI battery or a dedicated battery.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check the amperage draw before you ever run anything off of a receiver.

5. Dan Kanes

Dan Kanes Member

Hi Guys! We are thinking of doing a LiPo battery pass-through. What do you prefer a Deans connector or XT60 or something else?

Best,

Dan Kanes
    Paralinx Founder

6. Dan Kanes

Dan Kanes Member

PS - transmitter takes 5v at 1amp. Receiver takes 5v at 2amps.

We currently Sell Mophie Batteries that many people use with transmitter or receiver, and we also make P-Tap and Lemo to 5v cables.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dan, Andy might have a better idea but personally a Deans would probably be more than adequate. XT would be overkill and add weight. Good source of comparison is over at www.progressiverc.com. They have some great data and comparison videos. You might even consider using 3 pin BEC/servo connectors like the Futaba which are keyed.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Caveat: I'm heading towards an MR, so weight is of concern!

What I did was to make up a small power distribution board using Veroboard with an Arch 5v DC to DC regulator (http://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/arch-sr78-5s-1000-arch-sr78-5s-1000?search=arch). It takes it's power from the FF LiPo on the gimbal, splits out the direct LiPo voltage (the two JR three pin connectors), and splits out the two +5 on two two-pin JST connectors).

MoVI PDB.JPG

A couple of warnings:

1. In hindsight, I've got the connectors wrong! Because most three pin JR connectors have +5 on them, I should have use the JR connectors for +5, and JST connectors for LiPo voltage. On the New Improved Mark II version, I'll be using the connectors such that the JR (three pin) has +5 and the JST (2 pin) has LiPo voltage. Hopefully so doing will eliminate a few bright flashes in the night sky of the Pacific Northwest.

2. The Arch DC/DC converter only delivers 5v at 1 Amp. That may not be enough for the Transmitter of your dreams. I happen to use a Mondo Stinger and that is happy at a wide range of voltages, including direct LiPo voltages. However, this is only an SD composite video Tx, so you may want to use something heftier like this 5A BEC (Battery Eliminatory Circuit) which can deliver enough current to cause a healthy glow from whatever you're powering with it.

As I say, this is really intended for the M10/MR folks, not the ground-based M10 user who, I suspect, appropriately values ruggedness over weight. The M10/MR folks can, I suspect, live with the MōVI battery powering everything dangling off the M10/MR whereas the M10-burly-forearm folks don't seem to mind a larger throw weight. But it gives you an idea how you can use the FF 4S LiPo to power most of what you need on the M10/MR.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

9. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

If the Paralynx takes 2A of power then a BEC is definitely the way forward. Simplest way to wire this is directly off the FF lipo in parallel with the power feed to the Movi itself. Check out the CC Bec (not the Pro version). Cheap, very light weight and plenty of capacity to feed into the paralynx:

Input 2-6s lipo
    Output 4.8 to 9v

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

10. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Dan,

Dean's connector would be ideal for those of us coming from the old radian gimbal cinestars.

11. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'm going to wire up a dean's connector to a bec off of a second battery source. Seems to be the simplest plan.

The paralinx only has a usb input for power, so I guess I will be making a mini usb cable to deans connector.

12. Dan Kanes

Dan Kanes Member

As long as your BEC is set to 5.0v or 5.1v (max) and not putting out more or less than that you can use it to power an Arrow Transmitter. We have an extremely stable BEC that we use as the basis for our Regulator (TM) product that has a USB full sized connector so you could use that to run a transmitter or receiver.

Thanks for everyone's interest and input!

13. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member