/dist/images/branding/favicon

Paralinx Arrow, digital video transmitter.

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Daniell P. Ashby, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this world (aerial) having come from shooting and Steadicam and am flying a Cinestar-8 with 3-axis gimbal. I'm very interested in this discussion as wireless video is the next piece of the puzzle. Leaning very heavily towards the Paralinx based on what I've heard and read, namely because it seems like every camera out there (that can go airborne), has HDMI out. I need to confirm, but I believe that includes all DSLR's, Sony FS700 (and other Sony models?), Scarlet, Epic, I believe the Blackmagic has HDMI out...what else are people flying? Looked at the Teradeck Bolt which has a built in lithium battery (nice!) but only does HD-SDI so that kills the DSLR's without a converter box (more bulk, more power and wiring required). There are certainly cheaper SD alternatives. I have an Immersion RC system for my quad that came in under $300 and works great for what it is, but that would require downconverting for some of these cameras, I imagine (more bulk, more power and wiring required).

Paralinx seems to be the no-brainer. Any other systems worth considering?

Dan

2. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Dan,

I have the Paralinx but I have to say that I bought it first as a wireless unit for our production side. It excels for monitoring the camera and steadicam and is really a great piece of kit. On the cinestar we've been using it because I have it already. We've really liked it so far except for one thing; that when the signal does break you loose everything until it re-aquires. This can take 6 or more seconds and kinda stinks a lot. We still like it but I am in the process of setting up a more traditional (Mondo Stinger and all) system that is a composite feed. I have that gear already too so it's time to compare and see which works better for us. I am guessing that when we loose signal that it'll just go fuzzy and then return quickly but we'll have to see. That might make operation better as we don't need to have a HD signal as it's just for framing.

Bob

3. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've experienced wifi systems totally cutting out with loss of signal compared to analog systems just getting fuzzy and I agree it's just for framing so HD is not much of a concern, but the main issue is using cameras that don't output composite SD. The only way to get that signal is by downconverting the HD and that requires more hardware, wiring, and power. I would rather deal with the limitations of wifi if it means I have more cameras available to me to fly, rather than committing myself to a limited camera selection due to the wireless video system. I think a director/DP would rather shoot on their choice of camera and deal with wireless than be told they can only shoot on a particular camera.

Dan

4. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Dan,

The freely hdmi to composite board solves that problem easily and isn't expensive. You can get it from Quadrocopter. The only thing you don't have then is HDSDI without an additional converter and except for a few cameras that's not a big deal.

Bob

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

So Bob are you using the Paralinx for your FPV feed? Also have read that folks are/were using the Teradek Cube. It has HDMI input. Reports say that the range is much greater than the Paralinx.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bob: Is there such a thing as a sync regen for HD? For the SD setup I'm using, I pass the downlinked video from the receiver through an FPV-Japan DVR which regens the sync so that the SmallHD doesn't bluescreen on loss of signal. I may get some breakup and some static, but at least I don't lose the vide entirely for several seconds.

Andy

7. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Hmm...now you really have me thinking, Bob. I can get the Paralinx for $1300 including tax or the HDMI converter and one additional Immersion RC transmitter (since I already have the receiver) for around $210. I could do a lot with that extra thousand bucks...

Dan

8. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Update, thanks to Bob. Just ordered a small HDMI to Composite adapter on Amazon for $33. Not as small or slick as the Freefly version, but about $100 cheaper and gets great reviews. I already have the Immersion RC Tx/Rx for my quad, so getting an additional Tx for the octo. At some point, I'm sure I'll upgrade to something like the Paralinx, but so long as I can get something going now and use it to generate return income (crossing fingers), I should be good.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dan if its the one that is a small square box they do work pretty well. I wanted to try and reduce it to just the board but failed. The only place I could find for connecting power was the very small pins off of the USB port. That was my demise.

10. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Gary et al,

I found a solution for the power issue plaguing you, but as this is a Paralinx thread, I started a new thread under "Video Assist & Video Accessories" titled, "HDMI to component video for wireless Tx".

As far as the Paralinx is concerned, I tested a unit last week direct line of site outside. The image was great and any lag totally workable...until about 150 ft. and then zip - no signal whatsoever. And as I think others have noticed, a frustrating several-second-delay before reestablishing connection.

Dan

11. Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher Member

If anyone has any questions about Paralinx products, wireless transmission, or monitoring in general; please check the Directors Monitor Forum http://www.directorsmonitor.com

12. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

With the TX zipping through the air unobstructed we regularly get 300 ft of range with optimum antenna positions. 2000 ft of range is available but will set you back big $$$$$$