/dist/images/branding/favicon

Paralinx Arrow, digital video transmitter.

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Daniell P. Ashby, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Daniell P. Ashby

Daniell P. Ashby New Member

Hi!
    I work for Antimedia as grip and drone pilot. We just bought a Cinestar 3axis gimbal with radian to our epic x. Therefore i joined this forum.:eek::)

Is there anyone who has tried Paralinx? We have borrowed one for testing, but it's seems a bit short range, 100m los. Having found that the antenna is in front of the transmitter (the other side of the hdmi plug) I hope to get better range by "aiming" it towards the receiver ?. It has a omni directional antenna. Maybe modify it? It also needs 5v via usb. Guess I will split a usb cable to attach to a ubec when mounted in the gimbal.
    But if anyone has tested this and know this gives to short range, please let me know. So I don`t have to do all the testing. :)

I have tried it briefly in the office, it works very well. Latency is more than 3ms, but not much. So it will work for camera framing.

Does anyone here have a alternative? Weight is most important, not price.. within reason;) We have tested some Cobham stuff before, but it is a bit heavy..

Link Paralinx: http://paralinx.net/

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Is there any provision for an external antenna? If not, the "aiming" an omnidirectional antenna is somewhat contradictory, I'm afraid Daniell.

I don't know of an alternative at the same price point.

Andy.

3. Daniell P. Ashby

No there is not.. I will do some tests. But do you have an alternative? The price of the Paralinx is "to good to be true" compared to the other digital links. The Cobham kit we tested was about 20k i think. But it was on the heavy side..

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Daniell likes this.
  5. Thijm

Thijm Member

Going to test the Paralinx next week. I'm more interested in the Teradek Bolt HD http://www.teradek.com/pages/bolt
    It could be the same/upgraded Hd system but has sdi and will work with Red and the Blackmagic camera.
    Someone already own the bolt transmitter?

6. Benjamin Rowland

I'm interested in both of these systems as we have a client that is interested in using a live HD feed from our CS8. Please post your feedback as you do your testing.

7. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

All,

We are using the Paralinx and it's working well so far. I had it for our Red camera so it wasn't an extra expense and it fits great and is really light. Having near perfect HD without much delay is great but it's biggest problem is that when you loose the signal it can take 5 secs or so to re-aquire. I feel like it's a trade off though and I have to say I like it.

Bob Wojda

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What kind of operational range are you seeing with it, Bob?

Andy.

9. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

I haven't measured but we only had it drop signal once when I was behind a car. I know that we've gone far enough that we couldn't tell the orientation of the heli, so we came back (we think it was 1500 ft away and 150 ft high according to google maps). I'll keep better track so I can report back later.

Bob

Daniell likes this.
  10. Benjamin Rowland

Wow, that's plenty of range for me.

11. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

1500ft? The most I have got out of the Arrow is about 100 yards. I'm hoping to have a Teradeck bolt (zero latency and 320ft claimed range) system in my hands in the next few weeks. I'm planning on using on the ground, but I bet the range would be better in the air. The bolt tx is bigger than arrow. If I can lift it with my quad, I will let you know how it goes.

12. Daniell P. Ashby

How did you get that range? My system only works in about 100m. (50m high and 100m away) How do you mount it?

13. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

1500ft ???? wow! i cant get more than 70 meters around 200Feet !!!

is there a special position f the arrow?

thanks

14. Thijm

Thijm Member

Would be interesting to see a proper range test!

15. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I wonder if these would be improved by a cloverleaf antenna?

16. Thijm

Thijm Member

17. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

IMHO, dont waste your time on the Gefen.

I have ordered a "arrow" form the OEM for about $200. It should be here next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

18. Thijm

Thijm Member

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone has done unobstructed line-of-sight tests that would be the most likely situation for copter-borne situations.

Andy.

20. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

I don't want to be unrealistic about what it can do but so far the Paralynx really is working great for us. When we use it on the red camera in a regular production it' s more limited in range but that's usually because we're in another room or something. I haven't done a proper test yet, as I've promised to do, I just forget about it while we are busy flying. I would also guess that results may vary depending on lots of conditions. That range by the way was determined by looking at google maps and upon double checking, wasn't exaggerated.

Bob