/dist/images/branding/favicon

Parachute

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Stefan Helborg, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

Anyone considered mounting a parachute on your precious cargo?
    For example, a MARS 120 v2

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Not me. You have to evaluate the cost/risk/benefit for your situation. Especially for the ALTA, I don't consider it a good investment. Why? If you look at the types of failures that typically afflict multi-rotors, most of them are directly or indirectly caused by pilot error. I don't see a parachute helping out in these situations. And it could make things worse (oops, I hit the button to deploy the parachute! :eek:). But the kind of failure that sometimes happens that could possibly benefit from a parachute system is the catastrophic loss of power scenario. Again, in that case, how exactly can you depend on the parachute deploying in time to save the copter? My machine generally operates within 100m AGL. At that height, if there's a sudden loss of power (for any reason), I would challenge an automatic OR manual system to deploy fast enough to save it. And the requirements for a chute system capable of handling a 25-35 pound copter are pretty significant.

Plus, I spend a lot of time flying around water, so I'd actually be more interested in some sort of flotation device, although those are well-known to be problematic for a whole different set of reasons.

So in the end, I have not been very interested in parachutes.

3. Stefan Helborg

I know. It's just now when we hang 50k of uninsured goods in the air that makes me a little nervous. Especially now that we on the forum can read that the first ALTA has fallen to the ground.

4. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

Uninsured..........???o_O This must be your hobby.

5. Stefan Helborg

No in Denmark we can't get insurance of the goods while it's in the air. On the ground it's insured, but not in the air....
    I would be glad, if you know of an European ensurance, that will cover in Denmark as well....

6. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

Fly at your own risk ....... I guess. :confused: Check with Loyd's Of London. They will insure a body part for gods sake!!

7. Stefan Helborg

Haha yes. I do think I will create a thread on the forum regarding Insurance in Europe.

8. Stefan Helborg

But yes thats excatly why I neet as much "insurance" as possible

9. Fabien Deregel

Hi,
    a parachute can help a lot, in saving hardware but also reduce third parties injuries risks in case of failure....
    A well built system can save your machine as low as 15 / 20 meter height...
    An easy way to make a safety parachute is to put all these little things together :

- A spare micro futaba receiver / graupner for dual receiver able transmitters, or a standalone 433 mHZ or legal frequency compatible for USA.
    - A small lipo (3S)
    - Miniature BEC system ( 2A will do the trick)
    - A Rebelspace RDRS parachute system ( pyrotechnical) or anything equivalent CO2 with compatible specs in term of weight to handle
    - A RCD 3003 or equivalent device ( Micro rocket RC ignition module for the Pyro charge)
    - A suitable fixation chute fixation system + strong anchor cables on arms + frame

I think i already posted that video a long time ago but here is a test i made with a RDRS 6 system, launched at 20 meter height, with parachute mounted horizontal (angled down to the earth at the time of deployment.)+ very long cord ( to simulate bad situation)

And the fun behind the scenes ( do not try this at home lol )

Spring systems are OK, but in the worse situations, you will be happy to have a powerful ejection sending away the parachute as far as possible from your copter... Skycat systems are working pretty well in spring ejection : Here is a small prototype i made for DJI Inspire multirotor earlier this year (just a small video of flying indoor but you can see the parachute installation and type) , it works ok but in a test of "spiral of death"' (i did cut front right ESC signal in flight) it could not eject the parachute fast and far enough to avoid cords to roll around the frames before parachute opening... Was a heavy landing then lol !!

Sure thing, zero risk does not exist, and also it can happen that the problems occur at low altitude... And reaction time is very important ( RC helicopter pilots do not have that " stress" and over reaction time as we are used to do auto rotations to save our helicopters or for fun and have to trigger Throttle Hold for practicing).

But just ONE saving is worth anything else... :)))

Best regards,

Fabien

10. Stefan Helborg

Thank you for your long and very thorough answer. Yes, I also think that it can save just a little, to have a chute on the drone. I've looked a little after the MARS 120 v2 due to my copter weighs about 13.5 kg. The parachute system itself weighs about 1.4 kg :-( and is quite expensive.

11. Fabien Deregel

Hi, this is pretty very expensive for such a parachute system unfortunately...
    Maybe you should contact Gene at Fruity Chutes and ask him if he would have something to offer at a decent price with decent specs...
    Now regarding prices in general, it depends how bad you would like to have a chance to save your camera, lens, gimbal and machine.. :))
    Opale Paramodels in france offers a very nice small transmitter / receiver system ( independent) and also have solutions, you can get in touch with them and ask maybe for an alternative ?
    Best regards,
    Fabien

12. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

These parachute systems are not very practical due to dimensions/weight. I believe the only way to effectively utilize one is to have a copter designed with a parachute in mind, like the one DJI released a while back that integrates with a specific copter in mind. You should contact Freefly and see if they have one on the road map. Otherwise I would just get insurance. I understand Stefan is unable to do so in his country.

Fabien Deregel likes this.
  13. Fabien Deregel

Everybody has a budget for his system, best solution are CO2 / Pyro ( Pyro can cause troubles for travelling due to powder residues + problems for shipping replacement units).
    the Alta has a "native" predisposition for ultra easy parachute installation, all you need is a bit of imagination, a CO2 parachute system and a few electronic things :)
    Best regards,
    fabien