/dist/images/branding/favicon

Paracharging?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Matt Barker, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I have limited space in my cases and limited time on site. Is paracharging right for me? I have seen it on smaller packs.

It seems like the smaller, faster and cheaper alternative to buying more Hyperion duos.

Will I need a different chargers and or power supplies?

What is my max on packs and charge rates?

Paraboard recommendations?

Current charging kit:

Quaudro 4S 8000mAh and 3S 1200mAh packs
    Hyperion 720i Super Duo 3
    Progressive RC 500 power supply
    Chicago Electric Portable Power Pack

Please advise.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt I'm interested in the answer to this one. I probably don't understand how this actually works. If I have a number of cells hooked up to a paraboard, all that need different levels of charge, how does one charger run this way top them all off without cooking the ones that don't need much of a charge. And do they all need to be of the same 'S' size and capacity?

3. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I was at least thinking running four 4S 8000Mah on one paraboard on one side of a duo. All same cells/capacity. (but at different levels of capacity???) and running another paraboard on the other side of the duo for multiple 3S 1200mAhsor my TX lipos.

Even if I had to keep common cells/capacity per board this could dramatically help me time, space and wallet.

4. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I'm thinking a Hitec X4 AC Might be the best solution for me.

5. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I use the Hitec X4 AC and its awesome. You can only charge at a max of 6 amps, but that also helps keep the lipos lasting longer. I know if I can charge an 8000 mah lipo at 8amps I am going to. I have been told that charging at a little lower amp that it can increase the life of the Lipo.

6. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

@Nate

Good to hear. It looks like you can just plug the JST style balance leads directly into the charger without an awkward balance board???

Im looking forward to one to compliment my Hype super duo.

7. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

No you actually have to use a balance board. You can buy the JST XH style and the thunderpower and a few others. But you need to have the deans or what ever other connecter cable for the banana plug spot as well.

8. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

This fella plugs his JST style balancers directly into charger without the board.

Skip to 6:08

9. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

This paracharging seems to good to be true. Im thinking of trying the EP buddy paraboards on my hype duo. One side multiple 4S kopter batts and other side multipule 3S gimbal batts. I know I wont have the juice for full 5C charging on 50 batts, but it seems like a nice solution to plug them all up and give them a nice filling slow charge without having to carry multiple chargers and be unplugging and plugging packs. And a nice way to put all batts @ store volts in one sweep.

"Parallel charging will only work onsame cell count batteries, but they can have different capacities (within reason). They can also be at different states of discharge - again within reason. You wouldn't want to try and parallel charge a pack that was 5% discharged with one that was 50% discharged for example.
    No more taking one pack off when it is finished and then hooking the next one up and starting the charge cycle all over again. The important thing to remember is the battery packs all have to be the same cell count. You can’t parallel charge a 6S pack with a 4S pack for example - all packs in the parallel charge circuit must be of the same voltage rating."

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/parallel-lipo-charging.html

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

AFAIK, the balancing "boards" are purely passive devices, meaning there's no active circuitry: it's purely a physical pin adapter. So this isn't surprising.

11. Joshua Barker

Joshua Barker New Member

In regards to Parallel charging the cells that are in parallel will actually balance out to each other. This allows for an even charge process when put into parallel. If the packs are very far apart in capacity you might want to leave them paralleled for a longer period before charging so the cells have a chance to balance. In regards to chargers I am not sure if the Hitec X4 is your ideal unit. It has a 50 Watt max per channel. This allows for a 6 amp charge on a 2s pack but anything larger and the charge rate significantly decreases. The Hyperion Super Duo is the better alternative as it has a 500W per channel max. Meaning at 6s you can still charge at 19.8Amps. The charge rate you can achieve when parallel charging is only limited by the materials used to parallel charge. If you are using a board for this it may have higher resistance and will not allow for the higher charge rates. A good gauge is to ramp up the charge rate as you go. Start at say 5 amps. If the board you are using does not warm up then you can increase the rate until you can feel heat build up off of the board. Then back down to a safe point and you know what you can produce with that setup. Hope this helps!

12. Steve Maller

This is super helpful, Joshua. Thank you. How do you handle the balancing connectors? I'd love to do a parallel charging rig, as it'd be great to charge 2 bats at 1/2 the rate of usual, meaning the net time is the same, and the batteries may perform better after they're charged. But my charger (the 720i Duo) obviously as only one balancing connector per channel.

13. Joshua Barker

Joshua Barker New Member

Basically if you wanted to do this you would need either a parallel balancing board adapter or you can build a parallel adapter on your own. I don't know if I want to try and explain how to build the necessary adapter on here because I do not want there to be any confusion. Basically it would look like this (depending on cell count of course).

http://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-2x-balance-adapter.html

Parallel Balance Board - http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/adapt...arallel-balance-adapter-cp8s-gp-ko6s-par.html

I just Google image searched these items so I do not stand behind any of them. I just want to give you and idea of the adapters necessary.

14. Steve Maller

Thanks, man. Just ordered a couple of those balancing adapters. I'll report back once I try an experiment or two.

15. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Another Barker! Nice!

16. Steve Maller

Did my first paracharge last night. (Two 8000mA QC bats) No smoke, no fire, and two fully charged batteries. Haven't flown with them yet.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

On a trip to HobbyTown USA yesterday I saw the RotorWorld.co.uk on the newsstand and there was a long article on paracharging. I'll try to watch their website and see if it gets posted.

18. Joshua Barker

Joshua Barker New Member

I am glad that worked out for you Steve.

And for Matt you know we have to represent! ;)