/dist/images/branding/favicon

Panasonic GH2 Shutter Cable to Radian?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jim Swanson, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

I've been trying to attach this shutter cable to the Tilt Radian. The cable only has black and red leads. I've assigned a switch to the AUX on the Tilt. The Radian software shows that the switch is working, but nothing is triggering the camera ( the little blue led light on the cable is lit, but won't go off when switched).
    Any ideas?
    What camera cables do work?...maybe its just with my GH2.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you sure that the camera switch is designed to be controlled by a servo's PPM signal, Jim. It sounds like you might have a trigger that is designed to be controlled by a transistor switch.

Could you define what you mean by "this shutter cable switch?" Is it a home-brew or did you purchase it and, if so, what make and model is it, please?

Thanks
    Andy

3. Pavlos Antoniou

if it was working with your reciever then it will work with radian too..! :)

Mine is working great..!

4. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Hey Andy,
    This is the cable from quadrocopter.

http://www.quadrocopter.com/Shuttercable-for-GH2_p_467.html

Yes, it is a transistor switch. What does that mean?...other than...it won't work.

Thanks,

jim

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's correct, PaNt -- if it worked with the receiver then it would be controllable using PWM -- but with only red/black leads it suggests that it might be controlled just by a transistor that is effectively shorting the red to the black to trigger the shutter -- and that will not work with a PPM signal.

Andy.

6. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

I'm using a Spektrum DX8. It was working from the Flight Controller board on the Microcopter.
    Are you using Futaba or Graupner reciever?

jim

7. Pavlos Antoniou

OK so you have to use it via FL...! It doesnt work with radian!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What's the model of camera trigger and where did you have it connected on the FC board, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

9. Pavlos Antoniou

Andy the problem is that he is trying to connect the shutter to radian..! :) :)

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If Jim connects a PWM-controllable shutter trigger (like the MK IR trigger) to the Aux port on the Radian, then it will work.

I'm doing that on one of my C8s, using the Aux Port from both the pan and roll Radian sensors.

Using the Radian software, if you enter a channel number for the Aux port the Radian will emit standard PWM on Port 2.

However, the flight control board also has the capability (see the image of the bottom side of the FC board at http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/FlightCtrl_ME_2_1) to use the switchable J16/17 connectors. It's connector 8 -- a 6 pin connector marked as Servo 1.

The Connector in question is marked SV2, and the pin-outs are shown beneath the diagram. You can select how these pins are used in MK Tool in the Output screen. There is a thread discussing this here.

If you look at the diagram on that page under the heading for "Connections" you will see on the left hand side, "Top: Transitor [sic] Outp." so it's possible that Jim was using the transistor output on the FC board and that's why it was working on the FC board but not the Radian.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

11. Pavlos Antoniou

Andy this shutter that he has is for FL isnt it???! it wont work to if he connect it to the Radian..

Mine that is PWM is working great.. :)

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ooops. Sorry..I missed the message where you specified the trigger type, Jim. It was simultaneous with my response, so I didn't see you'd already responded.

As I thought it is a transistor switched shutter release. As I said above, it will not work with the Radian which uses PWM output -- there is no transistor-level switched output from the Radian. To work with the Radian you need either an MK IR trigger or the Stratosnapper. I think there are other brands but the test is that it must be capable of operating under PWM control. A rough and ready test is how many input wires does it have. Two wires: Probably transistor control. Three wires: Probably PWM.

Hope this helps.
    Andy