/dist/images/branding/favicon

pan stiffness issue

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by alex ryan, Jan 16, 2016.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

I posted this in the M10 forum, but I get the feeling its not as active as the one so posting here too.

Recently I've noticed I'm getting very low pan stiffnesses when auto tuning (as low as 49). I can then increase the stiffness to about 180 before any oscillations.

Any idea why this is the case?

Also any tips for flying the M10 into a significant head wind to get the smoothest results? I've found it almost impossible to get satisfactory results in high wind, especially when heading into the wind.

Any advice or answers would be a massive help right now.

2. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Anyone have any idea how to do some diagnostics on the motors to see if they are working effectively.
    After balancing and tuning at stand still my pan motor is working at between 1 and 3%, but I am concerned about the really low auto tune settings I've been getting.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex those sound like exactly where you want to be on a balanced gimbal.

4. Alex,
    If you are using the gimbal on a multi-rotor setup, we recommend you not just use auto-tune. You should be manually tuning the stiffness values, even if you use auto tune first.

5. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yeah I am manually tuning, but I've just noticed when I do an auto tune the pan motor has very low stiffness. This is a new phenomena so have been a bit worried about it.

6. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

To give you an idea of what I'm worried about. Today when tuning I was able to get my pan stiffness up to 180, but out of curiosity I wanted to see what auto tune would get. I did an auto tune and got a pan stiffness of 1.
    It was rather windy so maybe it was the wind that caused that error, but it has been coming up with really low numbers, but only on the pan motor.
    Should this be something to worry about?

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Alex what auto tune percentage setting are you using?

8. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I don't have the manual in front of me for the M10 but isn't the autotune value targeted at 70%?

10. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

I was under the impression it was 50 and then 70 if you get the full cage (which I'll be getting soon).

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Austin Glass posted this:

For caged MoVIs, such as the M5 and M15 (or the M10 with the cage upgrade), the recommended percentage is 70%.​
    For the classic M10, or configurations with the top of the cage removed, the recommended percentage is 50%.​
    My normal practice, when I choose to use autotune, (with the M15 caged) is to tune to 75-85%, then manually find which axes are oscillating, and manually turn them down.​

See http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/autotune-percentage.6095/

Andy

12. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yep, so to clarify, at the moment I am flying a classic M10 (without the full cage) and autotune is set to 50%. When I perform an autotune I am getting crazy low stiffness settings, but only on the pan motor (all other motors seem about right). This has made me a bit worried about a possible fault in my system. autotune is giving ridiculously low stiffness in the pan motor (in the example above I got a stiffness setting of 1!), but then manually tuning seems all good. I've had this M10 for about a year now and I bought it second hand, and freely have said they dont offer technical support if the product wasn't purchased through them, which is why I am hitting the forums rather than opening a support ticket.